ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Sunday morning CHAT, the latest thoughts and where things stand

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I really can't predict how things will go. The spots are starting to thin out and they could go several ways with them. Here are some things to watch.

I heard they could take another TE but with Noah LaPorte canceling his visit and committing to Northwestern that leaves Linkon Cure. I just don't see Cure choosing KU. That might mean they go to the portal for one.

At receiver there are probably some big discussions taking place last night and this morning with staff. I think they are going to have to be delicate in handling things. I believe Samuel will get 4-5 spots at WR. If Nagy commits that makes two. I get the feel the staff thinks they are still in the mix for Mozee. They are also going to need portal help and the available spots include portal players. They will need 1-2 immediate starter types from the portal.

The most realistic commit target in my book right now is Gabe Daniels. But his dad wasn't able to make the trip and I heard he has to be on board with the decision. Daniels could call him from Lawrence and tell him how much he liked KU and he has to tell the staff something fast or the spot could be gone. They could slow play Daniels and Tavian McNair and wait on Muizz Tounkara or Evan Haynes. They could slow play all three and wait on Mozee and then go back on one of them. The key is going to be whether they want one or two portal players. If Daniels or McNair wants to commit then the other is out along with Muizz and Haynes. The only way I see they take four HS WR is if they get a third commitment and Mozee wants to choose KU in a couple weeks.

It will also be interesting to see how they handle the cornerback spot. I believe they are only taking one. Do they take Nigel Pringle if he wants to commit or do they wait on LaRue Zamorano. There has been talk where Pringle fits on Arkansas board. They might have a couple players rated higher. Pringle was just offered last week, so they are doing everything they can to take a high school player.

I have no feel at all for Jonathan Cunningham. Obviously he is a for-sure take if they can get him. But he's been very quiet about his recruiting and Texas is a player in this. Texas is the big dog. If they turn up the heat then it will be trouble.

They are still holding spots at OL and will take any commitment from Jordan Fields, Andrew Williams or Brock Heath. All of those are too close to call and can't make any predictions based on their visits. They all have too many options. If one of them would narrow it to two schools I might get a better feel.

I assume we will know something about Brad Fitzgibbon today. He's at Iowa this weekend. If they really want him they won't let him off campus without committing. There is talk Michigan State may have backed off him but that doesn't make any sense because they don't have one DL committed.

The staff would take a commitment from Tylon Lee. He is rarely comments on recruiting. He did visit Miami this weekend. That always makes you pause because they have been on a roll recruiting. They are putting together a Top 10 class and don't have a DE commit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.