ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update FRIDAY TRANSFER PORTAL UPDATE

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- From what I've gathered, I believe Self flew out just before noon on Thursday to visit with Hunter Dickinson. Self flew into Willow Run Airport in Michigan and left after about four hours. That wasn't a move of desperation or panic. Bill Self and his staff conduct in-home/in-person visits with recruits all of the time. Dickinson recently completed visits to Kansas and Kentucky. From what I've gathered, he'll take a visit to Villanova before reaching the final stage of his recruitment. Coach Cal was out to see Dickinson not long ago and Coach Self was out to see Dickinson on Thursday. This is how the process works in terms of recruiting a player. I said this yesterday and I'll say it again today: The NIL money will be there and who wouldn’t want to play with one of the best PG's in college basketball? He’ll average 20 or more points and 10 or more rebounds per game while playing for the best coach in college basketball. I don't care if it's Kentucky or Maryland or Villanova or Michigan, in terms of the total package, no school/program can offer Hunter Dickinson what Kansas can.

-- Jaylon Tyson, the 6-foot-7, 210-pound small forward from Plano, Texas, will arrive in Lawrence for the start of his official visit today. At least that's the plan. Following a successful run at Texas Tech, Tyson ultimately made the decision to hit the transfer portal in hopes of finding a new school to call home. After taking a trip to California last week, the talented small forward will spend a weekend in Lawrence this weekend. I'm still reaching out to people, but it's my understanding that this looks like a Kansas/California battle. I heard from a source last night that informed me Jaylon Tyson has a brother, Jordyn Tyson, that played football at Colorado. He recently hit the portal and it sounds like California is a serious option. I'm still doing work on this and hope to have some more facts in the near future. If this really is a battle between Kansas and California and if Jaylon Tyson is committed to making the best decision for himself, I absolutely love where Kansas stands. We'll see what happens.

-- Most, if not all of the people, around Arterio Morris have gone quiet. Tonight at 5:00, coming off of visits to Kansas and DePaul, Morris, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound guard from Dallas, Texas, will officially go public with his commitment. For me, this is a tricky situation simply because there was a point when it looked like Kansas was sitting nicely with Morris, but the last couple of days, the people that I have talked to have told me that DePaul, when all is said and done, will be his choice. I hate to post stuff like this, and this isn't me talking bad about the kid, but one person told me that the DePaul coach is on the hot seat and needs to win, so the coaching staff has no problem taking Morris. I was told that he's got a trial date set for June 14. I could be totally wrong here and he could pick Kansas later today, but I just don't see Self making a move on Morris before his trial concludes.

I also know that Primo Spears absolutely loves Kansas. He sent me a couple of messages during his visit to Kansas and, without question, had the time of his life. If Kansas does add one of the two aforementioned prospects, I believe it would be Primo Spears. Currently, he's on a visit to Florida State and I'm guessing that a decision will come shortly after that visit is complete. I'm not saying he's a lock to commit to Kansas, but I do know that he's highly interested in Bill Self and the Jayhawks.

-- As I reported yesterday, Kansas will receive a visit from Mackenzie Mgbako, the 6-foot-8, 185-pound small forward from Roselle (NJ) Catholic HS in the near future. I was originally told that the visit will take place on Monday and was then told that the staff wants to get Mgbako, the No. 8 ranked player in the 2023 class, on campus ASAP. From what I've gathered, Mgbako plans to visit Kansas, St. John's, Indiana, and Louisville. I've reached out to Mom and hope to have a complete update here in the near future, but I have been told that his interest in Kansas is very real. It certainly doesn't hurt having guys like Norm Roberts and Joe Dooley on your staff, with Bill Self leading the way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.