ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update WHAT DID FIVE-STAR GUARD DARRYN PETERSON THINK ABOUT HIS VISIT TO KANSAS? WHAT STOOD OUT? WHAT'S NEXT?

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Darryn Peterson, the 6-foot-5, 195-pound guard from Huntington (WV) Prep High has wrapped up his official visit to Kansas. Peterson, the No. 3 ranked player in the 2025 class, arrived for his visit on the 23rd and, from what I understand, finished up his visit today. I know there will be a lot of questions moving forward about Peterson, the No. 1 ranked shooting guard in the class, and some of those questions I simply won't be able to answer at this time.

However, heading into the visit, I felt very good about where Kansas stood with Peterson, a five-star prospect. I had a nice conversation with his father a few days before the official visit was set to take place, and he had nothing but amazing things to say about Kansas. Now, following his official visit to Kansas, there's no doubt in my mind that Kansas will be involved until a final decision is made. Here is the very latest from Darryl Peterson, the father of Darryn Peterson, following the official visit to Kansas.

"The visit went incredible," said Darryn Peterson. "Coach Self and his staff did an amazing job of laying out the plan they have for Darryn as far development and role he will play on the team as well as opportunities that are going to a place with such a rich basketball history like Kansas could afford a kid like Darryn. Very exciting

"What stood out the most to Darryn is when Coach Self said ask the hard questions and a question that came from most competitors is why would a guard like Darryn go to a big man driven school like Kansas and Self was prepared, had all stats going back to 2016 of all averages and accolades of players just to prove the facts that he’s had a ton of success with guards and Darryn could have even more at a place like Kansas," he added.

While Peterson didn't commit to Kansas on his visit and plans to take additional visits before reaching a final decision, I'm not sure Coach Self and his staff could have done a better job hosting one of the truly elite players in the 2025 class. Kansas was a major player before Peterson arrived on campus and did an amazing job from start to finish. Right, I really love where Kansas stands with Peterson, but he still plans to take some additional visits before reaching a final decision.

Also, I know that some of you might also be curious about Darius Acuff, Jr. There was some talk last week that he might make a decision in the near future and Kansas would be the pick. There's also been some talk that Arkansas has emerged as the team to beat. I reached out to Darius Acuff, Sr., late last week and he made it clear that a decision wasn't coming in the immediate future. I've seen a few guys report that Kansas will be the pick, while a few others believe Arkansas will win out. I talked to somebody close to the situation who told me nobody knows for sure what Darius Acuff, Jr., will ultimately do or when he'll reach a final decision.

From what I've been told, this is clearly a Kansas/Arkansas battle, at least that's what most believe. However, anything beyond on, from what I've gathered, is purely speculation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News