ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on David Coit

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- He actually entered the portal on April 1st and received serious interest from the likes of Arkansas, Texas A&M, and Villanova. I hope to have a longer conversation with him this weekend and dig a little deeper into his recruitment.

-- This is a guy that Kansas clearly wanted and when everything lined up, the staff made him a priority. I think this deal has been done for a period of time. I don't believe that he just decided today.

-- I've been told that he has one year of eligibility remaining. One and done for the talented guard.

-- I love the depth that he brings to the backcourt, but also love his ability to score and hit shots from behind the arc. The guy can flat-out score the ball.

During his final year at Southern Illinois, Coit had scoring games of 27, 20, 20, 34, 23, 21, 32, 27, 23, 25, 21, 28, 27, 27, 35, and 35.

Furthermore, he connected on between three and eight shots from behind the arc 18 times last season.

-- Some additional information for you guys.

During the 2023-24 season, Coit earned National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) Second Team All-District honors and Third Team All-MAC recognition. During that same stretch, he appeared in 29 games, starting all 29. Additionally, he averaged 20.8 points (which ranked second in the MAC and 24th nationally), 3.4 assists (sixth in the MAC) and 3.2 rebounds per game

Also, during his final season at Northern Illinois, Coit recorded 27 steals, six blocked shots, and made 3.24 three-point field goals per game, which ranked 10th in the nation. He also shot 88.5 percent (108-of-122) from the free-throw line, which ranked 28th nationally

Additionally, Coit had a 1.4 assist/turnover ratio, which was seventh-best in the MAC. The native of Columbus, N.J., averaged 37.0 minutes per game, which ranked ninth nationally, and was tabbed the MAC Player of the Week on March 4 after averaging 31.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 4.0 assists per game against Akron and Toledo.

Coit also Recorded a double-double at Western Michigan (Jan. 9) with 32 points and 10 assists. This past season, Coit scored in double figures 28 times including 16 20-plus point games and four 30-plus point games.

Lastly, Coit led NIU in scoring 16 times, in assists 19 times, and in steals 12 times. He scored a season-high 37 points at Buffalo (March 8) and grabbed a season-best eight rebounds against Little Rock (Nov. 18).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.