ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Fall camp position preview: The running backs

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Everybody reading this knows the running back group will be deep and experienced. The only loss from last year's team is Dylan McDuffie who I thought did some good things with limited playing time. I looked up his snap count and it was 84 and he graded out at 80.5. He was a nice third back to have on the team especially since Sevion Morrison was limited with injuries.

Returning is Devin Neal, Daniel Hishaw, Morrison, Torry Locklin who is listed as a RB. They have young players who the staff seems high on with Johnny Thompson and Harry Stewart.

Thoughts going into fall camp

A lot of people thought KU would have the two-headed monster with Devin Neal and Daniel Hishaw, but Neal stole the show. Of the full-time offensive players Neal graded out with an impressive 85.7 and I felt really distanced himself as the top back. That was indicative with the carries Neal had 556 and Hishaw ended up with 262. Neal has to be the main back, but it is important to get him rest. The previous two seasons he was shouldering the workload by the end of the season.

I still don't know what happened with Hishaw last season, but his game dropped off in the back-end of the schedule. In the final five games he only averaged 31 yards a game and less than four yards a carry. I thought defenses started bringing more in the box trying to stop the ground game and forcing Jason Bean to beat them. When they did that, Neal flourished because he can make people miss, and Hishaw is more of a north-south runner. Defenses did a good job slowing Hishaw down. They need Hishaw to be productive because Neal needs to stay healthy.

The dark horse is Sevion Morrison, who I have heard the coaches like a lot. When healthy he gives them a back with cutting ability and can make plays in open space. But staying healthy has been his issue.

Harry Stewart and Johnny Thompson are younger players that I believe have promise based on talking with people in the program. But if the group stays healthy I don't see them breaking into the 2-3 deep this year. Locklin is listed as a running back but I think he will move around. He is hard to project because there really isn't a position for him unless he goes in the wildcat, runs option, or lines up in the slot on special designed plays. Last season he only played 67 snaps and Kotelnicki was creative, so that tells you there just aren't many times they could get him on the field.

One other thing I'm certain last year and during the spring Locklin spent most his time in the receiver room.

The running backs should be really good. Grimes likes to play physical football and use his backs, and I don't expect any drop-off. They should have enough depth to keep players healthy and not wear them down. I want to see Neal break the KU all-time rushing record and leave among the greats in KU history.

Fall Position Previews

Tight end
Wide receivers
The secondary
Linebackers
Defensive line

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.