ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Breakdown: Jackson Cook picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: Jackson Cook’s decision to be a Jayhawks is a big one. It is the first wide receiver on the board in a class where it is a position of major importance. The Jayhawks all of their top receivers and the group will be in a rebuild mode after this year.

Cook was supposed to visit in early June but had to move the visit back. KU WR coach Terry Samuel recruited him for a while. Cook told me they talk or communicate every day. He told me they talked on Father’s Day and Samuel spoke to his father and wished him a Happy Father’s Day.

The recruiting came down to KU and UConn and you might assume the Jayhawks had to be the clear choice. But that wasn’t the case. Cook’s visit to UConn was really good and sources told me they could be the team to beat. They did a great job with Cook and his family.

The KU visit had to better and it was. He visited Bowling Green in early June, but this was a two-team race. He said he got a good picture of how the receivers like Samuel and playing at KU.

Breakdown: Cook has a good combination of size and speed. At 6-foot-2 he is not as big as Skinner or Arnold but has good speed. He clocked 4.47 in the 40.

He lines up as the outside receiver for his high school team in most formations but will also play in the slot. He also plays some snaps at cornerback, but KU is getting him as a receiver.

One of his best plays is the designed bubble screen and quick throws. That allows him to create after catching the ball. He isn’t afraid to block. I liked the film because he was playing against legit competition.

What it means: Well, it has been well-documented and talked about on the board about the staff filling three spots. This is the first. I’m certain the hope is they go after Tate Nagy and are able to get him locked in. I don’t know that for sure, I am just speculating.

If that happens t is anybody’s best guess who the third will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News