ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Two tight ends will join at semester

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
The Jayhawks are expected to add two tight ends to the roster this week in Tevita Noa and Max Dowling.

In a bit of a twist Noa did not think he would be able to enroll until the summer and show up for summer workouts in June. But over the weekend Noa got the news he was cleared to arrive at semester. He is expected to arrive today and will be in early for spring football.

And there will be another addition at tight end with Dowling. He is an interesting story and don’t discount him as someone who develop and compete.

In high school he picked up division one offers but with each situation the offer went away.

He grew up in Buffalo and decided after high school to attend a prep school. He enrolled at Palmetto Prep in South Carolina.

“I had six schools offer me scholarships, but fortunately, the way things worked out, some coaches got fired from their schools and then some they took other guys from the portal,” he said. “I had scholarships standing with a certain school and, next thing you know, they took a 23-year-old tight end over me. That's just the way it is nowadays.”

One of those offers came from Buffalo. He had ties to coaches on staff at Buffalo where he knew Andy Kotelnicki and Rob Ianello. He played basketball on the same team as Ianello’s son.

“I'm from Buffalo and as you know, the whole new coaching staff was at Buffalo and now came to Kansas last year,” he said. “I had some relations just being from Buffalo, especially Coach Ianello and Coach K, the offense coordinator. And they were really interested in me and offered me. And then, I kept the relations with them when they went to Kansas. And after some time, I felt comfortable with the coaching staff and decided to come join Kansas.”

“They were my first offer about a year ago,” Fowling said. “The schools that offered were Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Delaware, Akron and SEMO.”

Dowling said the coaches liked his size at 6-foot-6, 225 pounds and his athletic ability. He is already in Lawrence and said he looks forward to getting to work.

Noa and Dowling will increase the numbers and strengthen the competition in the tight end room.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News