ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Some thoughts and what I hear from fall camp

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
After an off-day on Saturday they were back on the practice field today as fall camp resumed for day five.

Was watching the OL and the main players getting snaps at center were Novitsky, Ford, Eisenhauer, and Doiron. The back-up would be Ford and if there was an injury Doiron would move into the second string.

I always love watching Fuchs coach. Sometimes he can get fired up but for the most part I see him do it with a calm demeanor. Now, I have seen a guy screw up more than once and you don't want to be on his bad side.

I still see competition at guard as the biggest thing on the OL with Baynes, Ford, Adams-Reed, and Lovell fighting it out. So far I am seeing Baynes getting a lot his practice snaps at guard although I still think he would be the back-up tackle if needed. Lovell was banged up in the spring but I have heard he is moving around well and has shown some things.

The good news here is I think there are four guys they can feel comfortable putting in a game. I am hearing some good things how Calvin Clements looks and I think he will be a in a position if they have to play someone because of injury he would get snaps. Not sure he is quite ready for that but if they get thin at tackle he is earning their confidence as someone who can develop early.

I was watching the corners and I like what the future holds with players like Dilworth, Jacoby Davis and Jameel Croft. The good thing about having guys like Cobee and Mello is they give younger players a chance to develop and learn. That's how it should be.

I know Davis is listed at 5-foot-10 but he looks a little smaller. Croft certainly looks the part. The player in this group to watch is Kwinton Lassiter at corner. I think he has moved into that slow after Mello, Cobee, and Gervin.

Little tidbit I have heard and keep in mind it is very early, but Cole Ballard has looked good at QB. If there was a game today and Daniels/Bean were out they would go with Easters. But at least to this point I have Ballard slightly ahead of Pauley among the newcomers fighting for that third-string job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News