ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Some Sunday thoughts on KU football, recruiting

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
First off you have to understand in coaching searches things change by the hour and that's why you haven't seen a lot of credible writers report or say much about the Washington job.

Washington is on a quarters system so they have started school. This makes getting their coach ASAP in place a key because they are going to have to deal with portal and transfer issues. The clock is ticking. I heard from the start the AD wanted a sitting head coach or someone with head coach experience. Their OC Grubb not getting the job may be a telling sign to that.

The word in coaching circles Washington wants to announce a coach on Monday or before.

----------

Hearing it was a good junior day visit yesterday with seven recruits which is a great number. It isn't too low and not too many. That gives the staff time to spend quality time with recruits and their families.

I have reached out to several prospects and will have some of their reaction.

I asked David McComb what it was like pulling into the stadium since he was there in November and he said it was crazy seeing it torn down.

----------

This portal season we heard how much NIL was a big factor. And it will be going forward maybe more for portal players and player retention for KU. I don't think the staff plays the pre-NIL game with recruits promising them how much they will get before they get to KU. Their focus been on keeping the proven players in the program and at some point to get players in the portal it will also cots some money.

NIL is starting to become a major factor in the coaching business. I know we have had many discussions on the board that some fans buy into NIL and some don't. But it is to a point where that is becoming the number one selling point. I've been doing this job a long time. It used to be about facilities, admin support, recruiting grounds close to a school, etc. Now it is coming down to dollars for the players. It is a simple game. At some point it is about who they can afford to keep and recruit and who they can't.

If a coach knows they will have the NIL dollars a program is much more attractive.

----------

They had OL Darrell Simmons in for a visit who is a transfer from Iowa State. I'm hearing it was a good visit but he wants to think about things and he has yet to commit. The word I get it is down to Eastern Michigan and KU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News