ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update- Wednesday, May 25th- 8:34 a.m.

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I reported late last week I thought the staff would spend the weekend through the early part of this week evaluating more recruits. I believe they have looked at several and from what I can gauge didn't pass a lot of them to the next step meaning they won't go on the board.

I have said all along they have spots to give but they would not just take players to take them. That has stayed true to the course. I think there could be 1-2 players they could still add to the board but don't know if that will happen.

For the most part, we know who is out there and what is left.

-------------

I did confirm yesterday afternoon Savion Herring is on a visit to South Florida. That visit went under the radar and when I reached out people who cover USF they had no idea he was on campus.

This complicates things because I had it a 60/40 race with KU over Syracuse. I think his visit to KU put them ahead of Syracuse, although the factor of staying closer to home is something you can't discount.

If he takes his visit to South Carolina then all bets are off. He could end his visit to USF and go to South Carolina on Thursday and still get his visits in before he has to make a decision.

Herring becomes a major target for the Jayhawks. I think he can help out the OL and would give them someone on the two deep, which is what they need. They went into the late portal season looking at several OL and with Flavio Gonzalez decommitting and Isaiah Jatta deciding to return to junior college was a hit to the recruiting.

When Herring told me canceled his visit to Iowa State in favor of KU, I felt the Jayhawks were in the driver's seat. As we have all seen with the transfers though, these things change by the day.

The next couple days will tell us what Herring is thinking. He told me there is a still a chance to he could decide today or Thursday.

------------

One of my favorite recruits in the spring portal/transfer class is Dean Miller. I think his upside is huge and believe he will develop into a Big 12 DE.

I think KU has out-recruited everybody and done the best job. Last night Miller told me he will take a visit to Indian before deciding. He seemed pretty clear that he would make a decision after that trip, which would eliminate Oregon State who I thought would be KU's competition.

KU has a head start on Indiana, but they will get their chance this weekend. One thing I like about Miller is he talked how much his mom liked the KU staff and how she could see him going to KU.

Miller is a 4x3 and I think he would be a great candidate to redshirt. Gildersleeve could easily add weight to his frame and he is explosive off the edge. Then he gives you three years to play.

------------

Jalen Dye is on his visit now. He hasn't given me any indication who the leader is or how he wants to handle his recruiting.

He is another player that gives a program three years and reminds me of Jarrett Paul giving a lot of versatility in the secondary. He played the first part of the season at corner and then moved to safety. He is a physical player who will hit you.

I will have to wait and talk to him after the visit and see what he is thinking.

------------

One of the late players added to the list is Andrew Johnson an OL from Mesa CC. He got an offer late last night from Scott Fuchs.

He is from Poway High where he missed his senior season with a knee injury. But he returned in time to wrestle. He is a big-time wrestler and after his senior season went to a juco.

He's got athleticism and plays with leverage. If he's really over 300 pounds he moves well.

I'm tracking down info today if he will take a visit. Oregon State also offered last week.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News