ADVERTISEMENT

Hoch Auditorium

hank34x

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 3, 2006
I know might not get any responses (thinking there are some old timers on here, though?) - anyone ever go to a game there?

My dad talked about going to watch Wilt play. I regret not asking him more about the experience, who they played, etc. I assumed any game he watched would have been in AFH since all he mentioned was Wilt, but now wonder if he went to any games at Hoch and what that would have been like.

I know college basketball was significantly different pre-1950s in how it was played, managed and attended. Despite that, Hoch just seems such like an odd venue. Every picture I've seen of a game played there, everyone...the players, coaches, fans, cheerleaders, etc., just seem so uncomfortable.

And parking...I know that it only held like 5500 fans, but did everyone just cram a spot on Jayhawk Boulevard?

We have this great connection with Allen Fieldhouse...I love the stories of 2nd, 3rd, 4th whatever generations that have had season tickets there, things like my dad watching Wilt play there and 40 years later I get to see him finally get his jersey hung. A connection amongst the fanbase few schools can match.

Yet, it's just kind of crazy to think something was before that, and housed a national championship team nonetheless.

KU_vs_ESU_1947A.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News