ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Commitment Analysis: What Marvin Grant means to Kansas

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: Any way you slice it this was the big fish. KU needed a safety and while Kaine Williams was a nice target there was nobody more proven than Marvin Grant.

Last year he was second at Purdue in tackles and would have been the starter had he returned this season.

When I talked to Grant he was sold on Kansas after the visit the big question was who else would offer him at the Power Five level to where he could be a starter.

Another factor was Rich Miller. This is Grant's best friend and I believe he played the biggest role of anybody in the recruiting process.

“Rich is my brother, and it was great get back reconnected with him and we had a great time,” Grant said. “I also got a chance to see one of my day ones Cornell Wheeler. Rich told me that things are really changing and since he been in this program he has grown so much on and off the field.”

Sometimes we look at recruits on paper and think where they can develop. The biggest piece with Grant is we already he can play at the highest level in Power Five football.

Breakdown: This changes the secondary at KU.

I wrote earlier O.J. Burroughs was one player who raised his stock in the spring. Well, Burroughs will now have to fight just to get on the first team and that's okay. Leipold is trying to create competition and Grant changes the secondary.

The question now is who will slide into the Hawk position.

Grant and Kenny Logan give KU one of the best 1-2 punches at safety in the Big 12.

This move could also allow Jarrett Paul to move to corner and get more snaps there. If KU could line up with Jarrett Paul, Kalon Gervin, Marvin Grant, and Kenny Logan that might be the best group of tacklers I have seen at corner/safety in a long time at KU.

What this means: In a normal world I would say this shuts everything down and it gives KU almost everything they need on defense. But I know the staff likes Jalen Dye, who is expected next week. He would be a three-year player so he goes in a different category than some of traditional portal players. The last word I got, is they will still bring in Dye for a visit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.