ADVERTISEMENT

Beaty needs to think differently with our D

halvie_2

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Virginia Beach, VA
He needs to throw conventional football wisdom out the window with our D.

If you have a reasonable to semi-reasonable opportunity to keep the ball away from the opposing O, you have to take it.

Not going for it on 4th and a couple inches was pure stupidity. Every person on this board could have told you they were going to score regardless if it was 70 yards or 34 yards.

Ditto on punting on 4th and 4 from OUs 45. 55 yards or 98 yards? Doesn't matter.

I'm not even talking about giving ourselves more opportunity to score. I'm just talking about giving our D every opportunity to sit on the sidelines.

I know I know, KU has gone for it more than anyone (thanks to the first couple weeks) and doesn't get it very often.

But at this point, field position means nothing. We need to exhaust every opportunity to keep the opposing O off the field. Our D is that bad.

Secondary positives is Likens gets more experience figuring out what he likes and doesn't like on 4th down. Going for it on 4th down becomes less of a big deal and anomaly to our offensive guys. Maybe we score a couple more times. Maybe our offense builds a little momentum. If none of those things happen, nothing really changes anyways.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News