ADVERTISEMENT

Which 2016 HS QB recruit would have better helped the team's makeup?

Hindsight, which 2016 QB do you wish we had?

• Skylar Thompson

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Tyriek Starks

Votes: 6 31.6%

• Total voters

jolebo

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jan 25, 2015
Thanks to @Randy Withers, I just had a "Wow" moment of thinking from a recent post of his.

Just to clarify, Skylar Thompson is a redshirt freshman that signed with KSU as part of the 2016 class as an early HS grad. A four-star prospect coming out of Fort Osage, he's been on campus for almost two full years with Snyder's staff.

After reading those words, I remembered how we were after him, and it brought something to my mind that should open the eyes of many on here.

Here's what could have happened.
  • Had we got Thompson, HCDB would have not have needed to make his last minute trip to Louisiana in late January 2016, resulting in not going after Tyriek Starks.
  • Not going after Starks, I wonder how that could have affected the hiring of Coach Hull, whose only connection to KU is HCDB. No other legit reason why for him to go up to KU, considering his impact in New Orleans with his HS players, and personal family situation.
  • Had Coach Hull not been hired, no way we would have brought in Clark and Lee, and just about all of our current Louisiana roster players, whose main connection is Coach Hull.
  • Without Hull, Lee, and other Louisianimals, no way we have a verbal commitment from our current 2018 Louisiana recruits, along with the decommits from Louisiana.
On the other hand, had we picked up Thompson,
  • The staff would have gone after more recruits from TX, specifically DFW, which could have made Perry more accomplished, amongst us who criticize his DFW recruiting drought.
  • Good chance of more HS recruiting our base territory (OK, KS, and MO)
  • Good possibility that Yenser and DeForest could have had a more significant impact with their SE USA recruiting
  • No idea, but there's a chance that we would not go after Viramontes, possibly resulting in still having Clayton Tune committed to us right now.
For the situation he found himself in, along with the type of offense KSU runs, I wonder how Thompson could have performed under Meacham. Could he have provided more peace of mind of our QB room?

And all of this is not even considering the way we handled the QB position/rotation last season. Just never know, but had Cozart or Willis stayed, there is possibility of not having Bender here at KU, because of our QB depth. It could have been preferred to keep Cozart, for Senior leadership purposes, that many of us Slant posters have been negatively criticizing.

We've all had our moments of talking about how our JUCO recruiting and playing redshirt candidates has hurt the team; I'm here to focus on that, so cut that mess out of this vote.

I know that there are way too many "would of," "should of," "could of"s, along with "if" "and" and "buts," but this is a situation that was possible. Simply think about the scenarios I presented and think about who would help the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Withers
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News