ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update WHAT IS KANSAS GETTING IN FIVE-STAR BIG MAN FLORY BIDUNGA?

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
On Saturday night, Kansas landed Flory Bidunga, the 6-foot-9, 220-pound center from Kokomo (IN) High School. Bidunga, the No. 5 ranked player and top-ranked center, picked the Jayhawks over Duke, Auburn, and Michigan.

Honestly, I really never saw this coming until right before Flory went public with his announcement. The last hour or so, I started to get somewhat of a feeling that something just wasn’t right and Kansas might actually be the pick.

Well, Kansas was the pick and this is an absolutely huge night for Self, his staff, and the program. Bidunga, without question, is the most athletically gifted big man in the entire class. He can rebound, block shots, fly up and down the court, and is going to be a difference-maker from the minute he steps foot on campus.

At this stage, most of his damage is done around the rim, dunks, and layups, but he’s working to expand his game and has “star” written all over him. I simply can’t begin to tell you how big tonight is for Kansas.

Shortly after Flory committed to Kansas, Rob Cassidy had this to say about the elite big man.

“Simply put, Bidunga will be a difference maker from a rebounding and rim-protection standpoint from the moment he steps on campus. Those two areas of his game are strong enough to keep him on the floor even when his offensive game isn’t going well. That’s not to say, the five-star big man isn’t capable of making a dent in the scoring column, though. The Indiana-based star has made strides on that end of the floor this year and has become a much smarter passer and more effective face-up scorer, even if he still isn’t much of a threat as a jump shooter. He’s always been an elite athlete that attacks the rim and racks up his share of powerful dunks and layups through contact, but it’s clear that he has made diversifying his game a priority. His athleticism and motor allow him to play much bigger than his 6-foot-9 frame and help him routinely grab rebounds that sometimes seem to almost defy the laws of physics. Defensively, he’s an elite rim protector that changes dozens of shots per contest even when he doesn't get his hand on the ball. Bidunga is the most effective big in this class and his production is only matched by his long-term potential.”

After watching Bidunga, it's clear to me that he’s got a motor that never stops and plays at a level that Kansas fans will absolutely love. His offense is going to come around, and for that I have no doubt, but it's his ability to rebound the basketball and protect the rim that, in my opinion, really makes him a special talent.

With Flory on board, I would love for the staff to really make a strong push for five-star guard Jalil Bethea. He’s scheduled to visit Kansas at the end of the month and the staff will have every opportunity to make a move during his time in Lawrence.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News