ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Week One: Some things to watch for, and my thoughts

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
There is a lot to watch with the upcoming week and a lot of storylines:

What will happen with Tanaka Scott and Trevor Wilson?

I have been very slow to give my thoughts on this. And let me tell you why....nobody has any idea what is going on or how it might play out. Through my years of covering sports and situations like this, there is a lot in play behind the scenes. I had credible people tell me when this all went down both players will be dismissed. I had people tell me they spoke with higher-ups. But then I started to hear other things. When I get conflicting info it is irresponsible for me to come on here and tell you something that isn't correct.

I still say let this play out and see where it goes. Who knows, maybe nobody is dismissed from the team like everybody was claiming when it all happened.

What does the offense look like in the first depth chart?

I'm going to give my take but I also say that with a caveat because there are a lot of things that can change. Let's start with the offensive line. There hasn't been an update on Armaj Reed-Adams and I do know he has missed some time. His status will dictate the depth chart. I think there will also be a coaches decision based on how much time he has missed. If the staff believes too much time was missed they could go with Ford and Puni. If he is able to play and is on the depth chart I am giving a slight edge to Puni over Ford based on fall camp performance.

I think that gives the backup status to Satterwhite as a tackle and possibly Livingston. Dre Doiron will be in that mix as the back up group who could play.

Here is my guess: (this is based on Reed-Adams not in the lineup for now)

Bostick- Puni- Novitsky- Ford- Cabeldue
Next three: Dorion, Ford, Satterwhite

In what has been a highly contested group up next are the running backs. I think the margin here is so slim you shouldn't read into anything.

I am going with Neal to start and the first off the bench Hishaw. Followed by Ky Thomas and then Sevion Morrison.

Obviously the receiver group has a shake-up with Scott and Wilson's status unknown. I don't know if they will both be penalized and have to sit out, but I am guessing one game for starters.

That changes things and puts Grimm back in with the ones along with Lawrence Arnold and Quentin Skinner.

My money is on Mason Fairchild to be the top TE followed Kardell AND/OR Jared Casey. I have heard Huggins has come on as a pass-catching threat but I don't know how many TE they will list.

What does the first defensive depth chart look like?

I'm going with Lonnie Phelps and Malcolm Lee at DE. The battle for the back-up rush end will come down to Hatcher and DeBose. I don't know if they will list two at the back-up. Lee's backup I expect to be Jereme Robinson.

Defensive tackle is hard to figure going three deep and that's a great problem. First team I have Sam Burt and Caleb Sampson. Behind them I have Eddie Wilson and Caleb Taylor OR D.J. Withers. After that Tommy Dunn and McGee.

At linebacker I am staying with my original picks from pre-fall camp of Berryhill, Miller, and Young. Followed by Potter, McCaskill and Gilyard.

The secondary has been hard for me to figure out. Marvin Grant is a physical safety who pulled in a 79.0 rating in tackling. But in coverage he was a 37.9. The best two safeties are Kenny Logan and Grant. But they also play the similar position. I think the safety will be a matchup situation all year. If they are playing a physical team Grant is the play. But if they are playing a team who throws it I can see them with a three player rotation of Logan, Grant, and Burroughs. I look at safety as three players for two spots. I think the fourth safety is Jarrett Paul who I heard had a good camp.

I am going with Kalon Gervin and RaMello Dotson to start corner followed by Jacobee Bryant and Monte McGary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News