ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update TRANSFER TALK: UPDATES ON A FEW GUYS IN THE PORTAL

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
I've been told that Mosley took a couple of visits this past weekend (Mississippi State and Florida) and is looking to make a decision sooner rather than later. I really thought that, if Kansas was going to add a player from the portal, he would be the guy. Assuming Braun remains in the draft, Mosley would provide Kansas with a big-time scoring punch. However, with Braun not deciding until at least June 1, and I'm not sure that's the only factor, I don't feel like anything between Kansas and Mosley is going to happen. When he first announced his decision to enter the portal, I really believed that it would be a perfect match, and that still may be the case. I could get a call today saying that Mosley has scheduled a visit to Kansas, but I don't see that taking place at all.

Another transfer that I originally felt pretty good about was Tyrese Hunter from Iowa State. Early on, it sounded like Kansas was in a really good position. Much like Mosley, I've reached out to Tyrese, but he isn't talking to the media, so people that are familiar with the situation recently told me that Hunter had planned to take a final visit to either Kansas or Louisville, but Texas swopped in and will now receive the final visit. So, like with Mosley, I don't really have a good feeling about Hunter at this time. Kansas, as it stands right now, simply doesn't have a scholarship to offer Mosley or Hunter. I get the feeling that, almost like Mosley, he wants to decide sooner rather than later. Could some type of visit to Kansas take place? Could something last-minute happen? Sure, but I would be surprised.

I need to make it clear and say that, at this time, nobody really knows who the staff has reached out to in the portal (the complete list), except the coaching staff. Some names have been mentioned and I'm sure there are others that haven't. One name that has been mentioned is Texas Texas transfer Kevin McCullar, who is currently going through the draft process. I plan to reach out to his dad today, who is running the show in terms of talking, but I kind of get the feeling that this might be the guy that fills the scholarship Braun will leave if he decides to go. I've been told that Mosley, Hunter, and McCullar are guys in the portal that Self and his staff are really interested in, but because of the scholarship numbers, there simply isn't a lot they can do until Braun, and even Wilson, decide.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News