ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Search Update Thursday Update- 11/8 1:10 pm

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Posted 1:10 pm

I am making calls and can't confirm anything about the plane from Baton Rouge to Lawrence

I just don't see Jeff Long bringing in Miles in without an announcement. And who knows it may not even be Long.

If anybody will be on the plane I think it will be Long or nobody related to the search. Hey I could be wrong. This just doesn't feel right that it would be Miles.

Posted 11/8- 11:57 a.m.

I wanted to post this because I have heard it a couple times now. I have found it interesting because I have been hearing from college coaches/people in the business that there is legit interest from people who have been head coaches with success and those who are still head coaches.

I had a person I trust tell me that the interest is based a lot of what is being said in coaching circles about Jeff Long and Doug Girod. And this just isn't financial, which I will get to. But it is almost about commitment and support.

First off I think people in the past had their hands times when it came to football. There were times they had the money but maybe not for assistants. There was other times they were hamstrung financially or couldn't do more than needed. But the feel among the coaches/people in the football business is there is a different feel with Girod and Long.

First Long's reputation is damn good out there from people I talk to and some people I haven't talked in almost a year. These are people I have re-connected with and touched base to see what they have heard. Even though some people haven't been able to give me info they have told me they hear KU is taking very serious.

The thought out there is people are interested in the job that might not have been in the past because they believe leadership will be behind them. That is a huge deal. And maybe more than I ever realized because it has been consistent in chatter I have heard.

The talk on the street is people think KU will be better a place than what most think because there will be dedication and resources to turning the program. And it goes back to Girod and Long. I also didn't know Long's reputation is as good as it is throughout the country with football people. But I have talked to people who have convinced me he is known as a person with high integrity and a strong football acumen.

Now....let's not fool ourselves money still talks too. The word I have heard KU will easily get in the $3 million range for a head coach. I have been told there will be a good pool for assistants but have not heard any figures.

I told someone about KU should be more attractive because the indoor will be done soon. This person said those are nice but in the end coaches want to know people will have their back side at all times. That is the feel out in the coaching community if you go to KU you will have that support.

-------------------------------------
Late last night I spoke to someone who is close to Jeff Tedford who said he hasn't heard anything related to KU. Now, I don't if anyone has reached out to his agent but I took it as there has been no contact at all.

I know for fact Jeff Long has reached to at least two agents in the last 2-3 days. So he is making his calls and doing his research on everything.

I spoke to a search firm individual this morning and I will have something on the word going around about the salary and money talk involved with KU. And there has been a lot of coaches reach to Long about interest in the job. The person I spoke with told me something interesting why there is interest coming from guys who are proven head coaches and other candidates.

On the timeline I am sticking with my prediction this happens sooner than later. I know people have used the Texas game as a barometer whether KU will have a coach before that or just after it. My money is all in on before the Texas game.

I have reached to someone who knows Todd Graham but haven't heard anything back. I got a tip someone told me they think Long may have talked with Graham but I can't prove that or confirm it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News