ADVERTISEMENT

NIL NEWS Thoughts on the NIL system and the challenges

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I have been talking to a lot of people and the new NIL is going to be a major challenge for most schools.

The banter between the TCU AD and Tech AD caught my attention over the weekend where TCU announced it would participate in the max revenue share. Then Kirby Hocutt at Tech poked fun at the TCU AD for following Tech, because the Red Raiders already announced they would be at the max amount.

The talk right now is going into the 2025 sports season schools will be allowed to spend up to $20 million internally on NIL for their athletes. The problem is nobody has that money sitting in their account. For instance I have heard what TCU will do is work with their Endowment and get the difference between their revenues to make up the ground to get to $20 million.

I don't know where KU's full revenue is using ticket sales, TV, etc will be, but my guess is they are going to have to make up around $10-$12 million a year just to get the $20 million cap. That will be money going out the door they usually have to keep. I don't see any way KU gets to that number unless the school steps in to help out and they get more contributions on the donor end.

With NIL moving in house in the future they can now start tying donor donations to incentives which they couldn't do with an outside collective like Mass St. By the way until it moves inside it is still critical for Mass St. to bring in NIL funds.

I have heard at KU and other schools, parents/recruits are asking coaches if they are going to participate in the full NIL funding, meaning will they distribute the max $20 million per year to the athletes.

That's why you have seen TCU and Texas Tech come out publicly and say they are. The parents/recruits are getting educated on this and are asking the questions.

There are still a lot of questions to be answered. Even the big schools will have to be creative to come up with the full amount. The Ole Miss AD said to get to the $20 million cap they will need a combo of revenue and donor funding. SEC and Big 10 schools with much better revenue will still have to come up with ways.

Then you start looking at some schools that are already getting heavily funded (see graphic below) and it will be a problem to go to the well for more. This will all be interesting to see how all schools handle it. But as they figure it out you will know because I bet schools will announce they plan to distribute the max NIL dollars.

Subsidy 2.jpg

Reactions: Jhawk24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News