ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Thoughts after Oklahoma State game

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
After the game I could tell Beaty was pissed off. He does a good job protecting his feelings and staying upbeat. But I could tell he was boiling inside. He wasn't happy about the penalties.

But the biggest thing is I think the kids have played hard for the staff all year even when they've been getting beat up on. But in the fourth quarter personally it felt like they were watching the clock tick down. Beaty also touched on that in the post-game.

"I didn't like the way we responded in the second half, particularly late in that game," Beaty said. "That's on me, and I assure you that we will get that fixed. I can handle getting beat by a really good football team, but it's hard for me to deal with people who can't play to the end. You know what? We've got a really good team in there with a bunch of good kids. There was a few where I saw a lack of confidence toward the end there. That disappointed me. I know it's a hostile territory, and I know a bunch of them are young and are learning. But with most of those young guys, I like the look in their eyes, which is good."

Tre Parmalee had a really good game. Willis really looks to him. But he's also locking onto Booker and Sims too.

The offensive line just wasn't very good. There are reasons for that from being young to facing some legit guys on the other side. That OSU front is good. But there were a lot of silly penalties. They are getting to the point that I know Beaty wants kids who EarnIt but you also have to start thinking to the future.

If Bragg is one of the best guards I say roll with him. I know Hughes beat out Mazyck and then last week Mazyck beat out Hughes. But Mazyck had some penalties and if Hughes and him are pushing each other I say go with the youth and future. McCauley got in at left tackle. If those kids show promise go with them. You have them for three more years and if they you believe they are good enough to play now let them play. They need to learn by getting kicked around and seeing what football at that level is like.

That's two street weeks I think Mann clearly ran harder than Kinner. I don't know if he's still dinged up.

But if you can go with all the youth that has proven themselves in practice who have lost their redshirt then do it. You are trying to build a program and future. It might be to the point you just roll with them. And there will be days like you saw today. But that's part of the process.

On offense with Willis, Booker, Sims, Patrick, Crawley, Bragg, Gibson, Moore, McCauley, Hughes you have those kids who can play together for at least two more full seasons. They will grow and get better. Play them if the battles are close.

Willis played a little scared at times today and that's okay. At this time last year he was dodging tackles from kids at Louisburg. Today he was running for his life from the first snap. There were some times he couldn't even get his feet set.

I'm starting to become a fan of Daniel Wise. He's got some play-making ability. He can get off blocks. I like Armstrong. I like Dineen, Ogbebor, and Duckworth. Get those kids some action. The only way they will get better is playing and experience. Obviously they will get better in the weight room and S&C. But playing time can't be replaced.

Neal has some corner instincts. Make the move and make him a full-time corner. Next year to get Gonzales who is lightning in a bottle. Neal can play corner. I talked to him this week and he played corner four years in high school. Ogletree got his taste of big-time football. They really attacked him today. He had a tough match-up with that big ole Washington. I think Miller will be a safety and he can be a really good one.

Stewart must show good cover skills on film because teams have gone after Miller and Ogletree the most when they are in there.

I haven't gone back and re-watched the game yet. Just took a lot of notes. To be honest I don't think special teams was all that bad. Bartolotta hit his field goal. Wyman punted eight times and averaged 43.1 YPP. The coverage teams were solid for the most part. I saw Spencer and Patrick make some nice plays in open field. The problem with KU is their mistakes are magnified at the times they come. The snap and Wyman not handling was the big one. But I also saw some good things.

Overall I was really disappointed in today initially after the game. The penalties and Beaty's comments about lack of effort are concerning. Those are the little things you need to do to get better. I didn't expect a close game but I don't like mental mistakes and the wheels to come off either.

I thought it was interesting Beaty said after the game he liked the look in the eyes of the young players. Right after the game I wasn't happy with the overall performance. But then when I started to break down who played and did some good things it made me realize how young they are. And are they better off to start going with young players if the position battles are close in practice?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News