ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Summer Preview: The TE and H-Back, the FB is history

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Roster Going into the Summer: I am going to group the fullbacks and tight ends together because I believe the actual position “fullback” will disappear in KU’s new offense.

I think when the offense comes out, you will mainly see tight ends and H-backs. Right now, there is a fullback listed on KU’s roster, but I don’t think you will see one on the future.

Trevor Kardell
Mack Moeller
Mason Brotherton
Mac Copeland
Will Huggins
Mason Fairchild
Ben Miles
Spencer Roe
Jared Casey

Strengths and Weaknesses: Okay I am not going to try and be long-winded here. But let’s just say I think you are going to see more roles from players at tight end and h-back than you have in a long time.

If you are sitting around and bored go turn on some Buffalo film and you will see what I am talking about. They use their tight ends and H-backs every way a coach can possibly use them. For instance, they had a tight end Jake Molinich he was their leading pass catcher with 20 receptions and no other tight end was really close to him.

Buffalo didn’t use the tight end as a main pass catcher, but they did everything. Molinich goes 6-foot and 255 pounds and I mean he will flat-out beat you down. He was physical and nasty.

The first thing the tight ends and H-backs are going to do is be physical and block. That’s how this offense will start at KU. That doesn’t mean they won’t be out in pass patterns, but you better be able to lay the wood.

That takes me to the biggest weakness of this group and that is playing physical and blocking. I just haven’t seen them do enough in recent years to know they will do it well. But they will learn.

Kotelnicki also coaches the tight ends so he will oversee that group and he will learn early on who his guys are. Also, when you watch Buffalo, he will mix his tight ends up all over the place. He will play a TE and an H-back at the same time. He is very creative with what he does.

This season you are going to see this group all over the place doing a lot of different things. I think you will notice it early.

Kotelnicki won’t ignore the tight ends when it comes to getting them the ball. But in 155 targets last season at Buffalo the tight ends were involved in 23 pass attempts. With Mason Fairchild and Will Huggins, you will have two players who can get open.

Outlook: The guys who want to block are going to play. That doesn’t mean they will abandon the pass, but it is going to come down to being physical.

Get ready to see the tight ends line up everywhere on the field and do multiple things. They are going to be asked to do a lot of things.

I still believe Huggins and Fairchild will be near the top of the list because they are best players. But if someone shows they can block they will earn some playing time. This first season the name of the game is going to be about establishing a physical culture.

I am looking forward to seeing what Kotelnicki does with this group because I don’t think we have an idea. I bet there are multiple formations we see either two tights, or a TE and an H-back.

If I had to guess Fairchild could play H-back in formations because he is more physical. The tight end lined up unattached to the line which favors Huggins game.

My sleeper in this group is Jared Casey. Kid is a very good athlete and isn’t afraid to hit you. Guys like that could earn some playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News