ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Some updates and thoughts on looking for OC

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
First I want to go back to the report I had last night when I announced the news. For those who don't think that family matters were the key reason you just don't know. It may never come out but trust me Dearmon is the OC at Kansas if they didn't come into play. Dearmon is a great dude and I will root for him and I hope everything goes well for him in football and family things outside of football.

If he was offered the OC at Colorado or San Diego State I don't think he takes it because of proximity.

I also believe that Dearmon didn't spring this on Miles at the last second. I believe Miles was aware there were possible family things so it isn't like KU started this searach last night at 5:00 p.m. I believe there was some background info already being kicked around.

----------------------

There was a lot of coaching movement already after the first signing day. I think there will be more movement and coaches available after the next signing day. But not like it was after the first.

Here is also something that happens in coaching that doesn't get mentioned..... For instance I know a situation at a D1 school right now where a coach was told he should look for a job. He wasn't fired but given a fair warning to be looking. This way nothing gets out in the public that he's on thin ice and it makes it easier to find a job. Well, the coach just found a job that is comparable to what he has and accepted it. That way everybody wins. The school can move on and hire their next coach and this coach has a new home. If it would have been reported he was fired it would have made finding a job harder.

The reason I say this is because there are always a lot of coaches looking for jobs who aren't known to the public. There will be options for the KU OC position. I don't know what kind of options but there will be coaches looking.

---------------------

I'm not saying it will be the end-all, be-all but looking for a coach with QB experience will be very high on the list. Whoever takes the job is going to have to mentor and build up a roster of young and inexperienced QBs. This spring they are going to have to get a look at several young players and give a lot of reps to see who the top guys are heading into the summer and fall camp.

Sources have said a QB coach who knows the position is a big key because that might be the most important position of development on the team in the coming months.

---------------------

I expect everything to be on the table. I believe there are feelers out to everyone from NFL coaches to college coaches to internal choices.

Two guys that would get consideration on the are Emmett Jones and Josh Eargle. Jones is the passing game coordinator and comes from the Kliff Kingsbury Air Raid system. Eargle has done abut everything in his career from an OC to DC and head coach.

The monkey in the room will be what kind of system does the next OC want to run. Will it be drastically different than what was installed last year? How fast can they change an offensive philosophy?

Also one thing to think about and I was told this by a D1 coach last night is how many times do you see a new OC hired and he doesn't bring one new coach with him? It is rare.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News