ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Some thoughts on the final camp and this staff

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
First off I want to talk about how impressed I was with this staff and the organization watching them at all three camps. They were well-run and organized. All staff especially the off-field guys did a big part.

I don't know if I remember a camp with over 250 players at it in the past. It was an impressive showing.

The staff did a great job with the plan. They warmed up inside and then broke off into groups. The offensive players started inside and the defensive players went out. Then they switched so they had half the campers at least indoors where it was at least a little cooler. I was out on the turf and it had to be 110 degrees. They had them rotate and it worked well.

The guys who stole the show early were Melvin Laster and Jayshawn Ross both 2024 recruits. Laster is about 6-foot-2, 235 pounds and plays Liberty North.

Ross is a 6-foot-4, 220 pound TE/WR who will be a monster. He plays at St. Pius X. Both were offered after camp.

Chris Simpson was able to get 13 players from Michigan to make the trip as a group. The guy I liked was Jackson Pruitt a 6-foot-5, 300 pound guard who picked up an offer. He is not sloppy at all. One of the other Michigan players was Jaris McIntosh who I liked. A taller corner who looked about 6-foot-1.

The area OL looked good. I thought Joe Otting right now is more polished that Calvin Clements but both have bright futures. They will both grow into their frames and have a lot of room to do so. I think Otting is going to pick up more offers.

Mason Ellis from Mulvane is a really nice player. Kid is built and has some speed. I don't know if he ends up with a KU offer or not but someone will go on him even it isn't Power Five.

Another OL I liked was Gavin Bell from El Dorado. He's a big kid and moves well. He has good bend to his body for an OL.

Quinton Conley is very athletic and he burned several safeties and LBs trying to cover him. It will be interesting to see what they do with him.

There was an OL I didn't know much about named Jimmy Lansing from Chaminade Prep in St. Louis. He was a big kid I'm guessing 6-6 close to 3-bills.

One guys that stood out right away was a DL/OL named Jeffrey M'BA. I heard he was going to Independence JC. I need to look more into him. I think he was a late walk-up player. He also had a teammate named James Djonkman who I thought looked good. You could tell those two were ahead physically of the other players.

Parker Leise attended all three camps and he throws a nice ball. I just don't know where he will fit on the board. He told me he's going to Penn State on Friday.

It was fun watching the coaches coach all three camps. They really do a good job of teaching and going over things. They showed a lot of patience for a camp setting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News