ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Some thoughts from the spring showcase

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
First off, like I always say it was as good football weather as you can ask for. Listen, it is a practice and you really don't learn much. So, the least you can ask for is good weather and it was great.

There is one thing that stood out to me more than anything and that was Jalon Daniels. In pre-game he had some velocity on his throws and moving side-to-side well. They have been cautious with him and kept him out of 11-on-11 scrimmages through the spring. The good news is he looked good throwing and is moving around like nothing is bothering him.

I am still concerned about the back-up if Daniels were to get injured. Ballard is going to be up and down. He made a couple bad throws with one that should have been picked and another that was. His pick was thrown right in the chest of the defender.

They are going to have to find pass rushers. The portal is going to be a competitive deal in the spring. Any good pass rusher that enters is going to be a premium. There is no direct info on Dylan Brooks but the injury could sideline him into the season. That is not ideal. Wudke is definitely going to be a strong-side DE and not a pass rusher.

When the defense came out the starters were Wudke, Taylor, Withers, and Miller up front. LB were Berryhill, Wheeler, and Brown. The secondary was Mello, Cobee, OJ and Dye and Grant came in on the next play. The first two subs in were Petrus and Raich.

The OL was Brown, Gorczyca, Ford, Baynes and Cabeldue. The RB was Neal and Ballard at QB. The WR I saw were Grimm and Skinner and they looked like they started in a two TE set with Kardell and Casey.

You really don't get much from the action because it is a controlled scrimmage. The kickers weren't under high pressure situations. Their kicks were from short and mid-range distance.

The key is getting out of the next two practices with no injuries. Get ready for finals and then in the weight room with Sleeve.

Crowd was solid. I know they had the fire marshal there thinking it might fill up along the berm areas but it was never close to that. Good to see a lot of former players there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News