ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Some early thoughts after watching Houston, looking over stats

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Until Houston found a way to beat TCU I would have told you my confidence level in this game would be higher. But that game against TCU kind of clouds how Houston started the season.

I watched the games against TCU and Iowa State.

My first impressions are they look solid in places on defense, good up front, and not very good on offense.

Against TCU they went with sophomore QB Zeon Criss. Going into the TCU game Houston didn't score for eight quarters. In the Iowa State game you could feel a change was brewing because Criss started splitting time with Donovan Smith (Tech transfer) at QB.

They threw mainly short passes for Criss against TCU. He throws the ball sidearm and I am surprised more balls don't get batted down. He's a really good runner. Against TCU he threw for 141 and ran for 113. His running started to loosen up the TCU defense.

I thought the OL was bad against Iowa State. It was good enough against TCU but they got the ball out quick and Criss helped by eluding a lot of defenders.

The RB didn't stand out more than normal.

I really liked some of the DL up front Keith Cooper, Carlos Allen and Anthony Holmes. They go 280, 295 and 295. They have some size and can move. I think that might be the strength of the defense.

In the secondary A.J. Haulcy was really good against TCU. He's a transfer from New Mexico.

Houston played a lot of zone and made Hoover from TCU try to beat them and he made some bad throws.

Against Iowa State, Houston had the ball driving midway through the 3rd quarter only trailing 3-0. Houston eventually wore down and Iowa State started getting some success on the ground. The Houston QB were not good in the Iowa State game.

Houston's defense is ranked 5th in the conference and the offense is last. Listen, this should be a game KU can win. But they also could have won about every game on the schedule. The mobile QB worries me but Houston doesn't throw it well and hasn't rushed well with their RBs.

I looked up the OL on PFF and here is where they stand:

Peyton Dunn G- 65.9 (361)

Tank Jenkins G- 60.9 (334)

Dakota White T- 56.5 (184)

Jake Wiley T- 56.4 (337)

David Ndukwe T- 55.7 (186)

Demetrius Hunter C- 363 (55.1)

Last edited:
Reactions: TeamRamRod1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.