ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes SCRIMMAGE THOUGHTS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Well, there's no doubt in my mind that Frank Mason was the best player on the court yesterday. He scored 31 points and made it look absolutely easy. His shot from behind the arc was as smooth as ever and he looked strong getting to the basket.

The biggest difference, at least for me, was the way Mason played. He was confident, played with a swagger and looked unbelievably comfortable. Obviously, it was just a scrimmage, but Mason was sensational on Wednesday. It's almost like he knows this is his team and there's no doubt he looks ready to lead Kansas this upcoming season.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I saw the old Wayne Selden. Yes, he hit 3 or 4 threes, which was impressive, but his bounce in getting to the basket stood out the most, at least to me. Selden had a couple of explosive dunks and just looked like a different player from last season.

On a number of occasions, Selden was grinning from ear-to-ear and looked to be having a great time. If Selden plays this season the way he played in the scrimmage, he's going to have a big season. His shot looked so smooth and he had a bounce in his step.

Devonte' Graham, who scored 23 points, along with Wayne Selden, was on fire from behind the arc. He hit from shots from behind the arc in the 1st half and added 2 more in the second half. To me, it looks like Graham has added a little bit of muscle to his frame, but the biggest difference in his game is his confidence.

Graham expects to have a big sophomore season. He's confident, has a year of experience under his belt and, most of all, has the confidence of his teammates and coaching staff.

Graham is also excited about the change in shot clock this upcoming season. He expects Kansas to push the ball much more this season, and specifically mentioned how fun it will be to run up and down the court with Mason, Selden and company.

I hope to have some video interviews from yesterday uploaded today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News