ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Recruiting Update heading into holiday break- CHAT

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Going to cover a few topics heading into the Christmas break where things stand and what to look for.

First off I want to state again that there are so many unknowns that we have no idea how things will play out. That goes for the coaches too. They are still in a process of identifying players to look at in the upcoming weeks.

Although the Anderson Family Football Complex is empty the coaches are still watching film and looking at players in the portal. They are all watching film daily on players at their position who enter the portal and making calls to do background information.

One player I came on to talk about yesterday was Michael Shanahan an OL, who reported an offer. I talked to him yesterday and was getting a story ready to report. But I recently heard there could be a hold up and KU may no longer be in pursuit of him. Right now I would not label him as a target of the staff.

There will be a dead period until recruits can take a visit again until the Jan 14 weekend. In terms of visits things will be very slow until then.

And then things will pick up a lot. First off if there are any late targets that's when they will visit. That will also be the weekend the staff tries to get in the portal players who are committed that will enroll and hopefully start school which locks in their commitment.

That brings me to the concerns with the transfer portal that everyone faces at this time of the year. You never know who is calling around to the players who are committed because they are fair game to change their commitment at any time.

The other concern is with players who have gone back home for Christmas break. Now that they are away from the program they also become fair game to hear possible options. For instance if someone close to Earl Bostick's hometown gives him an offer behind the scenes to transfer would he want to go back and play his final year close to family? These are the type of things that can be a concern. I know it has many college coaches worried over the break.

I have heard as of now there haven't been any new offers go out but they are working each day for new targets.

They still have two spots open for the mid-year January enrollment. I believe one player still in the mix is Siddiq who has time to decide where he is going. The staff could still end up going on him.

There are 11 total spots remaining for the 2022 class.

Two can be used for January enrollees.

If they don't use them in January they can be carried forward for the year.

I have said this several times but nothing is going to move fast. I believe most spots will be for portal players but if they found 1-2 late high school players I could see them going after them.

I believe this process is going to take us through May. I think they will have visitors on campus in spring trying to fill the spots. I think there will be another run of players hitting the portal after spring football around the country.

I think the next couple weeks will be slow with a dead period and the fact coaches are out of the office.

If you have any questions fire away.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News