ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment Realignment: Some news and notes on what I heard

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
This all moved very fast and it was surprising to me.

From everything that I gather this isn't some ploy to show the league will stay together to force Texas and Oklahoma into paying all their money. This is real. The people left in the eight schools who are leading the charge believe this is the best move they have right now.

One source told me: "These schools have all made calls to other conferences to see if there will be movement. I don't see it happening now or any time in the near future. These schools know that information and see that staying together is the best option."

Now, we all know with realignment there are no rules and timelines. From what I get the other Power Five conferences like Big 10, ACC, and Pac 12 don't have any intentions to expand over the next couple years. And it could be beyond that.

Word I got is there was some who weren't 100% behind adding Houston, but the TV networks say they will make the package much better. Money talks. Also I heard with all the schools considered UCF, BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati there was a big gap after those four in what value they bring. Those were the clear-cut four to add.

Also I am hearing without OU and Texas, the Big 12 will absolutely expects to keep their Power Five status. Now, the CFP and NCAA make those decisions but I believe the feelers have already been put out about that.

Another topic that I heard come up is Tier 3 money. They could try and work something where schools can maintain that. If that's the case it could easily mean an extra $6-$8 million per year for KU. They are would probably be the top Tier 3 school in the conference.

This is all likely to go down next week. I don't know how accurate this is but it would be for the 2023 football season. I know there have been rumblings BYU could join as early as next year but I have no concrete evidence that will happen.

One note to add there was a late piece of news that came from the Big 12 last evening:

Despite what has been reported, the Big 12 Conference did not receive, nor solicit, an offer from ESPN to renew its current distribution rights contract,” said commissioner Bob Bowlsby. “Conversations with our media partners take place periodically, however, no formal discussions have taken place regarding rights beyond the current term.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News