ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the position groups, day 7

Which position group do you think is our weakest/biggest concern from the below to start the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
A fairly significant runaway victory for the receivers yesterday as our next strongest group, which means we are getting down to the final three of the rankings. As it stands now:

4. WR
5. DB
6. OL
7. ST
8. DL
9. LB

My take: Once again, when a group this experienced and talented returns and we rank them fourth, we are in a strange new world as KU football fans. All of the starters from last year return with Lawrence Arnold, Luke Grimm and Quentin Skinner. All were over 400 yards receiving last year, with Grimm over 600 and Arnold over 700. Those three combined for 15 touchdown catches last year, and as importantly as anything, became much better blockers as the year went along to help open the edge rushing game for our QB and RB rooms, as well. What had at one point appeared to be a weak spot became an absolute strength as last year progressed, both receiving and blocking, and there is no reason to think that won't again be the case this year. Amazingly, all of these starters are again eligible to return next year, as well. Grimm is already top 20 all time at KU in receptions and touchdown catches, and a repeat of last year's numbers (or a slight improvement) will put Arnold and Grimm squarely into the top ten all time at KU in receptions and yards, and would put Grimm into the top 5 in touchdowns. Skinner appears to still be alive after taking an absolutely punishing blow at the Liberty Bowl, and was key in taking the top off the defense last year at times--especially with Bean at QB, where there was an obvious connection.

And with all the kudos to the starters and all they have already accomplished, we also return a group with tremendous depth, as well. Tanaka Scott looks like a guy who is going to be tough to keep off the field at times this year with his height and speed combination, and he produced in limited time last year. He looks to me like a Marcus Henry clone on the field. Doug Emilien took some time to get comfortable in the system last year after transferring from Minnesota, but had a huge catch in the Liberty Bowl and was arguably our best blocker on the outside last year of anyone on the team. I fully expect him to get more snaps and opportunities this year. Trevor Wilson is probably the fastest of the group and was the leading returning receiver headed into last season before running into some legal issues that largely derailed his season, but the reports are all good on him this summer, as well. As with the starters, all of these primary backups are eligible to return after this season, as well.

The freshmen also look to be high quality. The top target of the class so far is Keaton Kubecka, who is built like Dezmon Briscoe and can snatch anything thrown his way. I think he will force his way into playing time sooner than later. Surazh Buncom and Jarred Sample are quality receiver recruits who performed against high level competition in high school, and bring different skills to the team, as well--Buncom is long and lean, Sample short and quick. Another year in the system and they will be pressing for time, too. And the walk-ons are deep here, as well--Hunter Luke is a freshman walk-on who has been getting mentions as a possible punt returner this year, Reece Thomas has been in the system a few years and also gotten mentions at punt returner, and Isaiah Coppage is a kid that I am convinced will play a role on future KU teams. He is a stud who got hurt at the wrong time.

Reactions: rhawker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News