ADVERTISEMENT

Rank the position groups, day 6

Which position group do you think is our weakest/biggest concern from the below to start the season?

• QB

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • RB

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • WR

Votes: 43 64.2%
  • TE

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hawkinmichigan

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2002
Another relatively easy decision for the group on what our next weakest position group is, and I would say that we are the part of this exercise where it makes sense to change the verbiage to our next strongest position group. Down to four position groups left, and I think there are going to be some interesting poll results the next few days, because we are strong in all of the areas that are left.

Our current rankings:

5. DB
6. OL
7. ST
8. DL
9. LB

My take: It has to be a good sign for where the program is at when the fifth strongest position group on the team has two guys that were ranked amongst the top 100 players in college football this year by ESPN. Let's start with the obvious--Cobee Bryant and Kenny Logan are studs, top 100 guys in the game, preseason all conference type of players. Cobee makes improbable plays in pass defense and has shown some ability to bring a guy down in run support, as well (although his fragility will always be a concern, given his size). Kenny has led the team in tackles the last two seasons, led the Big 12 in tackles last season, and has been on the field constantly for four years already. This is his last season, and he deserves the chance to go out with a bang. His penchant for coming up hobbled after tackles is a running joke at this point, but he always seems to find a way back to the field after he gets dinged, and he just makes plays.

The starting CB group with Bryant and Mello Dotson is solid. Dotson takes a lot of grief on the board at times, but as Kirby says he may be the better pro than Cobee based on his size and ability to cover and tackle both. This as solid a starter set at CB as we have had in a while, and the depth is also quite good. Kalon Gervin is a former starter at Michigan State and will be our nickel guy, and played nicely in his snaps last season. Kwinton Lassiter showed up towards the end of last season, and as is true of all Lassiters that play at KU, he just keeps grinding and making it harder and harder for the coaches not to put him on the field. Maybe the most naturally gifted player in the entire secondary is Damarius McGhee, who it sounds like is starting to put some things together in camp. And the youngsters here are among the most exciting on the entire roster, with Brian Dilworth, Jameel Croft and Jacoby Davis being among the most impressive offer lists of any players KU has gotten in recruiting the past 5-10 years. This position, in my mind, is absolutely loaded for the future, and other than Gervin, all of them have the option to come back next year.

At safety, the starters are locked with Logan and OJ Burroughs. Burroughs, like Dotson, sometimes takes grief on this board unnecessarily, but has produced well in the limited time that he has been a starter. Marvin Grant provides a high floor as the third safety, and was a solid player at Purdue before coming to KU, as well. Jalen Dye started to see the field a tiny bit at the end of last season and has progressed through this offseason, and will get snaps this year, I think. And as with corner, I think the younger players and even the walk-ons at safety have a lot of potential. Mason Ellis and Kaleb Purdy both have gotten mentions for their play in spring ball and camp as guys that can make plays, and I expect both have the chance to be special teamers if they can make the travel squad. Andrew Russell is a core special teams player, and will be on the travel squad. Akili Hubbard was the last guy we signed in last year's class, and is a complete mystery to me--sometimes this guys come in and are dominant, other times they end up being a waste of a scholarship--we will bank on Hubbard being closer to the first of those options. And even Landon Nelson has done some good things for us in his limited time, too. And like the corners, this group is here for the long term--only Logan and Russell are scheduled to graduate after this year, and the rest all have the option to return.

I know some have commented about concerns with depth and quality at this position, but I don't see it. DB is one of the easiest positions for young guys to see the field, and we have great depth at both positions--younger guys with talent and older guys with experience. If this is our fifth best unit, we could be in for good things this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News