ADVERTISEMENT

Football News Position Preview: The Running Backs

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
On paper this group can be very good. But that's on paper.

I will cut to the chase and start with my concern and that is staying healthy. I know it is a concern of many others involved in the football program.

Devin Neal is good. We all know that. He scored a 78.6 last year in PFF's final season rankings. He's on every preseason list for the Big 12. But Neal can't be the work horse all the time. In the last three seasons he has battled through injuries trying to shoulder the load when others have been injured.

Look back to last year and when the offense looked their best. It was with a healthy Neal and Hishaw both carrying the ball giving each other a break and a fresh set of legs. When Hishaw went out there were not a lot of options.

Hishaw was limited during the spring as well. This summer the reports are he is healthier but there are still the thoughts in the back of minds of people if he can get through a season healthy. The next man up would be Sevion Morrison but his story is much of the same. He battled injuries and was also out most of the spring. Since Leipold arrived Hishaw and Morrison have missed more practices than they have participated.

In the off-season they signed Dylan McDuffie late, who played for the staff at Buffalo. His first three seasons he had 225 total yards rushing and then a breakout year with 1000 yards. Georgia Tech was in desperate need of running back help. But McDuffie never got on track and finished his season with 45 yards rushing on 22 carries. Mike Daniels coached McDuffie at Buffalo when he ran for 1000 yards. Daniels left for Georgia Tech and convinced McDuffie to join him. But he rarely played him.

Torry Locklin is more of a change-of-pace back who can get the ball in the flat or use in passing situations out of the backfield. Johnny Thompson reported in June and I have not heard much about him since he's only been on campus less than two months.

The fact is, the running back group can be solid, but a lot will hinge on several factors
- Can Hishaw get healthy and stay healthy
- Can Morrison stay healthy
- Can McDuffie give a few series a game when called on

Neal played several games banged up. He played through injuries. I think some of that is they have more confidence in Neal even though not 100% more than the next back in line behind him.

The health of the group is going to tell the story for the running backs. If they can stay healthy I love this group. If not, then I think there are going to be a lot of question marks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News