ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Neal Brown on Leipold, thoughts on KU, and the upcoming game

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I broke Neal Brown's quotes and I listened to his press conference. I will also have his audio on the podcast. But I wanted to transcribe them and post here because he said some very good things that I don't think is coach speak.

Neal Brown on the KU program, Leipold, and what he sees on film

Kansas is 1-0. Obviously big win over an FCS opponent week one. They're well coached. Have a lot of respect for Lance going back and his staff, which a lot of the same guys going back. And we played them in a bowl game when he was at Buffalo, and we were at Troy. They're disciplined. They don't beat themselves. They've got a low number of turnovers. They don't have penalties and they're playing with a lot of confidence right now. And they should.

You think about their last four games, go on the road and win at Texas. Losing on the last possession on the road at TCU. Lost to our 2021 team in a one possession game, they lose at home with a bunch of injuries. Both sides had a bunch.

That's their last four games. And they have belief. They're playing, like I said, they're playing well, they're a good football team. I think at the end of the year, you're going to look back and say, hey, this is one of the most improved teams in the entire country.

Gives you kind of a snapshot of who they are. Offensively, they're multiple. They use motions and shifts. They do a great job of moving guys around and figuring out ways to run the football and get some shot plays down the field from a schematic standpoint.

The quarterback, Jalon Daniels, we talked about last year. And they're just a different team with him playing quarterback. He's got confidence. He's a dual threat guy, but he's a passer first. He's athletic enough to run, but he's a passer first. He's accurate. He throws a deep ball well. They've hit some explosive plays. You saw that against Texas last year. And then he did it again in their first game this year. Running back room, there as deep as anybody in our league. The Neal kid is really good. Then they got the Thomas guy that was at Minnesota last year, who ran for a bunch of yards. They've got a Nebraska transfer. They've got another kid that's a big physical kid. Number 20, that set out last year.

They're four deep with legitimate upper end, Big 12 running backs. Played three tight ends. They throw the ball well to him, receiver. They had a couple big plays last week and I think their left tackle and their center are upper tier, big 12 offensive lineman. The left tackle's really good. He's athletic. He caught a two-point conversion versus the 21 team. Defensively, they’re four down front. I think for them it starts with their safety, Kenny Logan. All Big 12 performer last year. Really good tackler. I think he's their guy that gets them lined up in the back end. He's really sharp. You can tell he is an intelligent football player.

At corner, they've really improved. They're long and athletic. They played some young guys there last year and I think it's paying off for them. They've got some depth there. At linebacker, they've added a couple transfers and a couple guys that played for them last year have improved. You can tell that they've gotten faster and stronger. And then D-line wise they're a veteran group. They play about seven or eight guys, some big body guys. They've got a transfer DE from Miami, Ohio who had a big game in the first game. And he had some impressive pass rush numbers at Miami there as well.

Special teams. Logan is a kickoff returner. He hurt us last year, hit us with a big one. And he's one of the better ones in our league. Grimm is a wide receiver that returns punts. I think he went over a hundred yards in 21. They're kickoff guy is really good. So that's kind of a picture of who they are. Very improved football team. Well coached. We'll have our hands full, but we're looking forward to getting back to it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News