ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts, opinions, and things no one asked for in regards to the spring game

gball992

Sophomore
Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
As someone who has been involved in the program within the last 5 years and growing up a twisted sick, die hard KU football fan, I don’t say this boastfully but have a different sort of take on how I view everything. Part of me screams eternal optimism, part of me has spent many many hours inside AFFC and have seen some very dark days and energy within the doors of the complex. Last season, the hawks took strides that even I didn’t even think was possible given the state of the program when I left. Watching some of the same players actions on the field change (i.e. not celebrating an open field tackle after giving up a 30 yard gain, *cough cough davon Ferguson), very minimal penalties, from the Ones and 2’s believe only one bad QB center exchange, energy and effort late in scrimmages when players are tired, I could go on and on….. these are things that really really excite me.

JD looked as good as I thought he would. Know he’s been knicked up and made a few bad throws but in comparison to what we have all watched over the last 13 or so years, that’s the best we have seen based on JD’s performance last year from a QB other than maybe 2019 Stanley. Hard to get a huge gauge on this one but confident in JD. Bean is what he is and takes away quite a bit of throwing the ball aspect but is a serviceable backup. Easter’s, SOS in my opinion watching his delivery if he ever steps on the field.

RB’s Good. Very good. Hishaw looked really really good made good cuts, and smart to hold devin and ky out except whatever the 1 or 2 Carries they had.

WR: Surprise of the day for me, Majik Rector. Looked to be our best ATH on the field in terms of a guy you want the ball in his hands in space. LJ will be solid, and Luke Grimm I expect a very big jump. Hope McBride can put on weight and contribute cause we need him to step up but would be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about the depth after that.

TE: everyone’s favorite Jared Casey wow that kid has hands lol. Think we looked alright at that position.

OL: here’s where I’m worried. First 5, think are very solid as JK said many times but man they are gonna have to find someone in the portal or something cause wow if someone goes down and at somepoint in the season, they will, there is a HUGE drop off in the first and second unit. Good thing we have Fuchs

defense…..
Thread is getting long so I’ll wrap this up. Think Malcom will be alright. Craig young most certainly looks the part, OJ Burroughs the surprise of the day on defense, very worried about secondary as JK said, DL think could be a surprise, it’s only spring but think there’s a noticeable lack of team speed on Defense, hope we can stop someone or at least keep the ball out of the other teams hands ball control which we all know kottelnicki or however he spells it will try to take advantage of.

ST: MADE KICKS. How often have we seen some BRUTALLLLLL attempts in the spring and lack of just flat out execution in terms of exchange from this unit. They took care of business or at least the first unit did.

Wrap up: about what I expected. Maybe even a little sobering. Again it’s spring football, these are all a crazy, sick, KU football fans thoughts over a 90 minute scrimmage that won’t have anything to do with how we perform once that ball is kicked off in early September. Got through the spring with only 1 big injury and that is a good thing. Get the boys in the weight room and bust their ass in camp, and we could have a competitive team this fall. Still think 6 wins is stretching it, but there is no reason this team shouldn’t win 4. We have a coach to be proud of and a team that will compete. All we’ve been begging for for years.

lastly, JK is a pro. Everything I’ve heard and we saw today just about added up to everything He has said. Feel free to roast me on my opinions and tell me how dumb I am and how captain obvious these statements are. Let’s go win the Natty this year lol

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News