ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts My take and thoughts on transfers

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
It is somewhat hard to describe what I want to write because I don't know if I can put it into words how each player talked about joining the KU program.

I asked every player coming from Buffalo and DeBose why they chose Kansas and wanted to follow Leipold and the coaches.

I thought it was interesting how the Buffalo players all gave answers that were very similar and yet different from DeBose.

The Buffalo players all said they wanted to come to Kansas and help change a culture. They were all very genuine about it. It wasn't lip service. They really care about these coaches and Gildersleeve.

There has been so much talk about the culture that it is almost starting to sound like a cliché. But it isn't. I met with Leipold one-on-one and heard some of vision and things it will take to turn it around. He has a plan. One thing I have learned is how much he cares about his players and how much they care about him.

That may not sound like a big deal but it is.

Every single one of the Buffalo players said their biggest reason going to KU is to help build the culture that Leipold and his staff want. And they know how to get there. They have all seen it and heard it before. Novitsky didn't say he wanted to go to KU to ready for the NFL. McGee and Wilson didn't say their main goal was to come in knock people off the depth chart for starting jobs. Now, they might be thinking that in the back of their heads.

Obviously they are all competitors and want to start.

Some quick thoughts on each player after I made calls and asked about them:

Eddie Wilson and Ron McGee- You can never have enough big bodies on the DL. Both of these guys were coming to KU before Harris and Terry decided to leave. Now that they have transferred, getting them is even a bigger deal. They are going to provide depth and will compete for a starting job.

Mike Novitsky- The gem of the group. He's an NFL prospect at center and he was one of the most vocal about wanting to be a leader and show guys how the coaches want things done.

Trevor Wilson- I have been told he and Jamal Horne would be a great race to see who the fastest is. Wilson was described as having football speed not just track speed. Will also factor in return game.

Michael Ford- Was going to be the starting RT as a redshirt freshman at Buffalo. He will have four years left.

Rich Miller- Have been told he has the tools to be a key contributor and will definitely factor in the starting job at LB. Buffalo started three solid LBs last year and they all return this year. He was going to be the fourth LB in the rotation again. He will help at LB which might be the position with the most question marks.

Zion DeBose- He really told me he's looking for a fresh start. He's never played for Leipold so he didn't talk about culture like the other players did. With KU moving to a 4-3 they are going to need rush ends. Everyone playing that position has been playing in a 3-4 which is different for a DE.

The coaches coming from Buffalo knew what they were doing when they brought these players. They know their work ethic. They know their attitude. They know how they can help the program, The coaches know these players and have already been around them. There are no attitude issues coming. These guys will all be leaders among their position groups.

Will they all start next year? Probably not. But it isn't out of the question. They will all contribute at the least.

If you look at this group Leipold isn't going for the quick fix. The average years remaining is around three for the transfers. So, Leipold wasn't just trying to plug quick gaps. These are players that will be in the program.

One last thing.... there is a lot of talk circulating that the NCAA could revamp the scholarship rules to give every program initial scholarships to get to the 85 man limit. Or they will give 50 initials over a two year time span. A lot of people think this is going to happen. I would be willing to bet by the end of the year it is more clear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News