ADVERTISEMENT

Maui Invitational vs. Chaminade: Some thoughts and what to watch for

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
-- Chaminade enters the game with an overall record of 1-2 on the season. The Silverswords won at Alaska and fell to Alaska Anchorage and Hawai'i Hilo (both at home). Chaminade defeated Alaska, 80-72, and lost to Alaska Anchorage, 77-72, and Hawai'i Hilo, 90-86 in overtime. Obviously, this is a game that Kansas should absolutely win on Monday night, but I'll have more on that in a little bit.

-- I'm guessing that something will be said before the game, but I've got no idea what the status of KJ Adams, Jr., is at this time. As most of you know, his mother just recently passed away after a battle with cancer, and, without question, this is an emotional time for Adams, Jr., and his family. Having lost my dad to cancer back in 2021, I, like so many others, know exactly what Adams, Jr., is experiencing right now. Losing a loved one is difficult enough, but watching that loved one battle and fight cancer is an emotional rollercoaster that can absolutely suck the life out of you.

If Adams, Jr., is back in the States and not with his teammates, and I've got absolutely no idea where he's at with the game set for tomorrow night, nobody would blame him for taking the time to spend with family during this most difficult time. Furthermore, if Kansas is without Adams, Jr., somebody will be given the opportunity to step up and fill the void of one of KU's best and most experienced players. Again, My guess is we will know more about Adams, Jr., and his availability later today.

-- Kansas should have no trouble advancing to the winning side of the bracket on Monday night. Chaminade is a Division II school and, in terms of the history of the Maui Invitational, hasn't had much success overall as a program. Still, the Silverswords have managed to upset a few teams throughout the years. Kansas needs a fast start, which hasn't been a problem at all this season and would do themselves a favor by slamming the door early on Chaminade. The Jayhawks blew the doors off of North Carolina Central and Manhattan to open up the season, and had Kentucky down, 9-0, before winning the game late in the Champions Classic last week.

Truthfully, I don't expect this game to be close at all, but I think getting off to a fast start and sending a message early against Chaminade will set the tone for the rest of the Maui Invitational.

-- Regardless if Adams, Jr., is available or not, the game on Monday night will be the perfect opportunity for some guys to get back on track in the first game of the Maui Invitational. Listen, I think we can all agree that Nicholas Timberlake, Elmarko Jackson, and Johnny Furphy struggled against Kentucky. Timberlake just isn't hitting shots right now and Jackson and Furphy, at times, looked sped up against the Wildcats. If Kansas is going to emerge as the last team standing at the Maui Invitational, it's going to take a total team effort by Bill Self's squad. There will be no better opportunity for a few guys to gain some confidence than against Chaminade on Monday night.

-- I'm looking forward to seeing how Kevin McCullar, Jr., bounces back against Chaminade. Yes, he had a triple-double against Kentucky, 12 points, 10 rebounds, and 10 assists, but was just 3-of-11 from the field and 0-of-3 from behind the arc. Heading into the game against Kentucky, McCullar, Jr., was one of KU's top offensive performers, but he really struggled to get anything going on the offensive end against the Wildcats. My guess is, and this is just a guess, that McCullar, Jr., bounces back and has a big game on Monday night.

--I'm wondering if Coach Self will give freshman guard Jamari McDowell an early look on Monday night. McDowell was inserted into the game late against Kentucky and came up big in the closing minutes of the contest. Aside from harassing Antonio Reeves the final three or four minutes of the game, McDowell was fouled late in the game, with Kansas up by three points, and calmly stepped to the FT line and hit both shots. Those two free throws all but sealed the deal for Kansas in the Champions Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News