ADVERTISEMENT

Game Thread LIVE GAME CHAT: NO. 1 KANSAS VS. NO. 18 VILLANOVA

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
We're about an hour from tip between No. 1 Kansas and No. 18 Villanova from the Wells Fargo Center. Obviously, this is a big game for Kansas and the first true road game of the season. Here are just a few thoughts I've got heading into the game

-- Kansas MUST defend the perimeter like never before. Villanova takes 31 threes a game, so I'm guessing they will attempt that many, if not more.

-- Kansas MUST get off to a fast start against Villanova. If the Wildcats come out hot from the perimeter and KU struggles to score, it will be a long day. Make no mistake about it.

-- KU's stars absolutely need to shine today. This is a winnable game, but it certainly won't be easy. Devon Dotson, Marcus Garrett, Ochai Agbaji, David McCormack, and Udoka Azubuike all need to play at a very high level. This would be the perfect time for Ochai to have a "career-high" type of game on the offensive end of the court.

-- Take care of the basketball. Nothing else to add.

-- Take advantage of easy scoring opportunities. Kansas has really struggled finishing in transition this season. The Jayhawks have fumbled away many, many easy scoring opportunities. You can get away with that at home, but not on the road.

-- I'm not sure how much Coach Self will call on his bench today, but if Silvio De Sousa, Tristan Enaruna, or Christian Braun get the nod, they need to be productive. Don't force the issue and don't play out of your element or comfort level. Just play your game and do what is asked/expected of you.

-- Have fun! In the landscape of college basketball, very few get to experience playing for the No. 1 ranked team in college basketball. Embrace this opportunity, have fun, and make a statement. These types of games are all about toughness and being able to fight through adversity. Play with a swagger, confidence and believe in each other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News