ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Les Miles with a few words after practice

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park

What are your first impressions of practice:

This is blue skies Kansas. I mean, if anybody wanted to take a picture of big sky, this is big sky right here. This is beautiful. We had a good practice. The one thing we've done is we've taken time to understand our assignments and we're after it. This team, it wants to win. So they're out there on their own throwing balls and catching balls.

Are you energized being back on the field:

There's no question that I have excessive energy and want to be with this team. This team is working hard. It's doing the things that we ask it to do, and it's pretty special. This place is pretty special as well. And we're enjoying the day, the style of people. And I like my team. My team's... They're getting ready to fight.

How do you maintain the energy level as you get ready for the season:

See the real thing that is interesting is that this COVID-19 and the fatigue that it takes to fight through a series of decisions that are made on your behalf, that you have really nothing, no way to effect. And I think our guys have just really powered through some difficult crisis and enjoyed coming out on the other end. And I think that the play and having the practice was coming out on the other end.

How much of that comes from the coaching staff and how much of that is reliant upon the players themselves to do what they need to do to be able to be back out here on the field?

Yeah. Well, the good news is, is we have good leadership within our team. If you don't have leadership within your team, players, you're not going to be very good team. I don't care how many times the coach says, "Come on guys, come on, guys." That doesn't do any good. You have to have that consistency of wanting to fight and dig deep within your team. And I see that here. Now am I ready to say that we're perfect and we're ready to roll? No, not just yet, but that time's coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.