ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Latest rumblings on realignment, football team, QB odds

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
I'm going to start with realignment because when this all started everyone was throwing things against the wall like all sort of conspiracy theories. The fact of the matter there just isn't much going on right now and there's a reason it has slowed down.

I want to begin on the KU side. I heard some information yesterday that right now the sentiment is the Big 12 teams are sticking together and staying strong. Kansas is part of that and there is a reason. First it comes down to financial ramifications. If the teams stick together for a while then that forces OU and Texas to stay around longer and gives teams more time to figure out what their next move will be.

I spoke with a source connected in the Big 12 and very familiar with KU.

"I keep reading that OU and Texas will try to play in the SEC next football season," the person said. "There is almost zero chance of that. From what is being talked about I believe it is more likely they are in the league for at least two to three more years."

This person said the only thing that can change that is if another school finds a home but he believes that everyone is staying strong together right now.

"One would also be a naïve to not think others have put out private feelers to see how they stack up with other conferences to get a feel," he said.

There is a growing sentiment within the powers-to-be at KU if or when there is realignment they are going to be well-positioned.

I have been fortunate to know someone over the years who is very connected to what I would call one of the three top people in the Big 10. He spoke to this person a couple days ago and said right now the Big 10 has not had many active discussions within their university presidents about realignment.

However this person said there are a few people still very much with a voice like Jim Delany and Barry Alvarez.

"There is a reason they just brought Barry back into an advisor role," the person said.

He also said that Kevin Warren the Big 10 commissioner isn't the most aggressive person. But the decisions will made by the presidents and Warren will be advised by people like Alvarez and Delany. This person said KU would be high on the list of both those people.

Something else interesting he told me is he thinks the Big 10 would make a strong push at Georgia Tech. They would love the Georgia TV market and Tech has a great academic reputation. He said the GOR hurts them but there could be ways around that.

He reiterated should there be movement KU would be one of the most attractive schools.

The one thing I have taken from people who are involved in this, is that nothing is moving fast. And it won't move fast. Any talk of KU going to the Big 10 or any other conference right now is far off. That doesn't mean they won't be one of the most sought-after schools if it does happen, I just get the feel that everything is cold.

-----------

All right here are four names I am hearing that have caught people's attention in practice so far.

Duece Mayberry- CB. While a lot of talk has centered around Jacobee Bryant and the newcomer Jeremy Webb, it is Mayberry who is off to the best start.

Earl Bostick- OL. It is beyond me how Bostick was stuck at RT all year while Malik Clark struggled. That was, until Meadows was let go. Then it changed. Hearing very good reviews about Bostick.

Devin Neal- RB. The RB group looked like a crowded room. But so far in camp a few guys have hampered by a minor injury/tweak or something else and it has given Neal a lot of the reps. He has shown quickness and looks good. The other RB might want to get healed up because Neal is making his way up the charts,

Kyron Johnson- DE. We have all known his athleticism would put him near the top of the Big 12 at his position. They haven't yet put on full pads but he has looked very good coming off the edge.

-----------

The way, way, way too early Jayhawk Slant QB odds are listed (updated at 9:15 a.m.)

Jalon Daniels 3:1
Miles Kendrick 3:1
Jason Bean 5:1
The Field 50:1

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News