ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Jayhawks land 2022 QB Austin Myers

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Thoughts: This is what I call an evaluation commitment. Brent Dearmon liked what he saw in Austin Myers and went after him. Dearmon has offered 12 quarterbacks in the 2022 class and Myers is the one he seemed to out the most effort in with.

I’ve always said anytime you get a recruit to commit a year early it has to be someone the coach/staff really liked.

It also helps Kansas in the move up the state or Arkansas. Right now, there is a lot of buzz how much attention players in the state are getting from the Jayhawks. Dearmon’s name is spreading. Earl Gill, who is locked in heavily with a lot of Arkansas players, has said a lot of positive things about Dearmon and the name he’s making in the state.

Breakdown: There is a lot to like with Myers. First off, at 6-foot-4, 190 pounds he has good size to run an RPO offense. Not that height is everything, but when you are running RPO, it does help to be able to see where the defenders are shading to make your decision. Being able to see over the line gives you an advantage.

He throws a good ball. He will add arm strength as he gets bigger and gets older. Remember he has two years before he arrives at KU.

He is one of those quarterbacks who moves as well as he needs to avoid pressure. I don’t think he will be someone that does a lot of QB run plays on a consistent basis. But he does throw well on the run. It also says something that he took over an 0-10 and as a sophomore helped them get seven wins.

Final Thoughts: It is a good feeling for the staff to get on the board and land a quarterback. I really believe they will look to take two if the right one comes along. But once you get the first one, the second one is tougher to get.

The bottom line in this one is Dearmon got someone he really wanted early in the process.

KU took two quarterbacks in the 2021 class, now it will be interesting what they do the 2022 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.