ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Jameel Croft picks KU- the breakdown

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: This was a recruit where connections, relationships, and time paid off. Jameel Croft liked Kansas from the beginning because of his connections to the program. He comes from Martin Luther King in Detroit which is the same school as Rich Miller and Marvin Grant attended.

Kansas linebackers coach Chris Simpson has recruited the area and landed several players from Detroit. Croft told me before his unofficial visit in September that having the Detroit connection was a factor.

Cornerbacks coach Jordan Peterson also played a part in the recruiting. Croft was going to announce in September but held off. During that time the KU coaches continued to build a relationship with him.

He liked the unofficial visit to KU and told me he felt comfortable with the staff.

Breakdown: Croft is listed as an athlete, but the Kansas coaches are looking at him as a corner. He’s got good size and range.

He usually is locking down the opposing team’s best receiver. The word I got is he was impressive last weekend when the KU coaches were there to watch him.

Jordan Peterson went to Michigan to watch him play and he lined up against Nick Marsh, a 2024 wide receiver committed to Michigan State. I heard Croft was all over him and Marsh is one of the best wide receivers in the state.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds he has the athleticism to run with receivers and the size to matchup with all types.

What this means: I think this will be the only high school corner the staff takes in the 2023 class. I believe they will look at some junior college targets or to the transfer portal. There are some junior college players I am tracking at corner. But Croft is a solid addition and had a lot of early offers from schools like Tennessee, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and several others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News