ADVERTISEMENT

It's Not Now or Never

Brett767676

Redshirt freshman
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2001
I keep hearing that with all the seniors on this year's team, this is KU's 'one chance' to win big. I can understand the reasoning as we will lose some special players but the more I think about the roster and observe the program, next year's team probably won't fall off nearly as badly as some expect. The staff has built a program and culture that's durable.

If Foster and Brown return on the O-line, Baynes, Clements, Gorczyca, Herring and others (plus transfers) could be as good as this year's unit.

The D line should improve overall with more depth and experience at DT and with Miller back and developed Warner, Jobe, Brinkley, and maybe Brooks and others at DE.

The RB room is deep with Hishaw and Stewart for power and Sevion and Thompson for speed. This group behind a veteran O-line and year 2 of Grimes bodes well.

McGhee and Todd would be a very good pair of starting CBs and the Dye brothers plus Ellis will be experienced, reliable players at safety. Of course the secondary will have to take a step back but if the pass rush and DL improves as expected there will be less strain on the secondary.

Linebacker is a concern but Fletcher and Gillion have experience and Brantley and Kamara could emerge/develop with their athleticism. One or two quality/veteran transfers could be added here.

Receiver depth looks to be limited currently but Emilien should be a solid starter and with available playing time and NIL money I'd expect one or multiple proven or highly ranked receivers to transfer in. In a worst case scenario we could lean a bit toward the running game with more big TEs on the field.

We'll be in good hands with Marshall at QB and have a solid Ballard as backup. Additionally, I don't think we can rule out the possibility of JD6 returning as the NFL might not like his height and past injuries and he could potentially get a very lucrative NIL deal to stay.

Bottom line is though this could be a special season, we now have a program that's built to compete at a high level every year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.