ADVERTISEMENT

Football Thoughts Five things I am looking for tonight

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
With the first game and a lot of unknowns here are five things I am looking for tonight:

Carries among the running backs

I know it is the first game and it might not give us a clear picture, but I am looking forward to seeing what Kotelnicki and Wallace do with the running backs. I expect Devin Neal and Daniel Hishaw to be the first two on the field. Last year this group got banged up and didn't have enough bodies by the end of the year. Neal had too many carries for a true freshman and got injured. I would like to see them distribute the ball among all the backs. With a loaded backfield I want to see who the staff leans on.

The attack style of the defensive line

I am not knocking any coaching from the past, but the defensive line was on a leash in their philosophy. Now, that leash is off. Jim Panagos wants the players getting up the field and try to make things happen. I talked with Caleb Sampson, Sam Burt, Caleb Taylor, and Eddie Wilson and they all told me the style is much different than last year. They all liked what Panagos is doing much more. I am hoping to see a defensive line disrupt a lot more than what we did last year.

Play-calling on offense

Like I said above tonight may not give us all the indications because I expect KU to be the better team. I have talked to coaches for years about "holding back the playbook."

Almost every time they tell me you never hold back your playbook and save plays. But I do think we could see some of that tonight. But I want to see some of the new wrinkles, schemes, alignment and formations. And I guarantee there will be some.

I want to see how many personnel groupings there are with running backs and tight ends. I want to see how many packages there are two backs and others with two tight ends. Kotelnicki will have some things up his sleeve and they didn't show any of that to us in fall camp. I'm excited to see what he does the first three games.

Snap counts with the linebackers and defensive backs

This could be all over the place because I don't how much they will stick to the depth chart we saw on Monday. I want to see how they rotate the linebackers and how much different that looks in week three. I want to see how they rotate the corners and safeties. I think we are going to see a lot of combinations and the depth chart could see changes over the next couple games. There are a lot of candidates in the mix to get snaps at those positions and it will all work itself out. I think these first couple games will tell us how the coaches really see things.

Overall look of special teams

Special teams is something teams don't go full speed as much as they used to. Everyone tries to cut back on injuries and avoid the head on collisions in camp. Leipold said they did more special teams later in camp. I want to see how Borcila and Vernon handle their roles. And here's to hoping we don't Vernon a lot tonight. I also want to see how things shake out on special teams with depth and who is out there. The special teams coverage units should be better and deeper than last season.

What are some things you are looking forward to seeing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News