ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Thoughts Five quick thoughts after the win over BC

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
#1- The theme all week after the loss to Coastal Carolina was the offense. What can they do? I mentioned several times using more wide receiver sets to open up the defense. Well, that’s exactly what they did, and it worked. There were running lanes all over the place, all night.

#2- Carter Stanley gets the game ball. After week one the talk was about playing the back-up. After week two the talk was even more consistent about playing the back-up. And I promise you after the Jayhawks fell behind 10-0 and he threw a pick it was on everybody’s minds. But he responded and was very good. 20-of-27 for 3 TD. More importantly he kept the ball on running plays and ran over some defenders. It was by far the best game the offensive line had and it helps not having to block eight guys.

#3- My quick numbers showed the defense had 25 different players make a tackle. Some major props to the defense. They gave up 17 points in the first quarter. Only seven in the second and shut them out in the second half. They turned Brown into a pocket passer and played a great zone defense. They were in position to pick several passes off and Brown never looked comfortable. Dillon got his yards, but he is going to do that against everybody.

#4- Tremendous game by the special teams. Liam Jones was back in the kicking spot and was two-for-two on field goals. Once again Kyle Thompson was good averaging 46.3 yards a punt. And Donovan Gagen had a 42 yarder in his absence.

#5- As defense, offense, and special teams get credit a lot had to go to the coaching staff. Let’s face it nobody was counting on a win let alone and absolute ass-kicking. The staff did a great all week getting these kids to stay focused and not dwell on the loss to Coastal Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News