ADVERTISEMENT

News and Notes Fall camp practice thoughts and notes: Aug 11-12

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
First off I have heard some guys have basic bumps and bruises from the first scrimmage and that's expected. I heard there are two more scrimmages left but I have to think it might only be one with fall camp inside a week of being done. I have asked about the schedule and will try to get more. But I think two scrimmages would be ideal. You just have to give players time to rest.

If I had to guess I would say scrimmage on Monday and then one Saturday. That gives players time to rest and they start school that following Monday.

I don't know details but Jalon Daniels hasn't been at practice during the open portion the last two days. We could get more clarity on that today because we will speak with Leipold.

It was good to see Bryce Cabeldue out there after hearing he might be banged up after the scrimmage. He was moving around well and doing some contact.

Unless an injury changes things I feel confident the starting OL is going to be Puni, Reed-Adams, Novitsky, Ford, and Cabeldue. I will get into detailed thoughts on the offense later. I do want to call out Calvin Clements. I have heard multiple times this week he is showing a lot of promise. Being at KU for spring football was big for him to get a head start. I was watching him today in drills and he has better feet than I remember in high school and that has likely improved since he arrived.

Today I spent time going around and watching safeties, linebackers, and defensive ends.

One player I really like is Taylor Davis. I think he is going to be a player over the next four years. Usually safeties are either closer to a LB or a corner. Safeties either possess good coverage skills or good physical tackle skills. If you have ever looked at them and studied their game they always have a strong suit one way or the other. I think Davis has a blend of being able to cover and tackle. He's got good size and runs well enough to resemble a corner. But he will come and make a hit.

The safeties are in good shape now and in the future as I studied the group. There are some good players who will be in the system after this year when Logan is gone.

After watching the DE this one of the positions I am most excited about the see the first depth chart. Joyner looks healthy to me. That leaves Jereme Robinson, Dylan Brooks, Davion Westmoreland, Austin Booker, Ron McGee, Hayden Hatcher as the main guys. Hatcher will start. McGee looks slimmer to me. As I watch Brooks and Booker I am waiting to see how they can get to the QB. None of them have Lonnie Phelps first two steps. This is a good competition going on to see who gets in that two deep.

I run hot and cold on the LB. There are times I look at them and think the group can be much improved over last year. But that means guys like Wheeler, JB Brown, Gilliom, Raich, Fletcher, etc have to step up. I have no doubts JB Brown is going to get a lot of snaps. He looks good in practice and Simpson has been complimentary of the things he does in practice. I said this earlier we know who the top four are going to be as long as they are healthy. For this group to take the next step the first unit has to improve and the guys in the two-deep must develop. I think the depth is there but we still have to see it on game day. I'm leaning that we see an improved LB group and I have always liked Simpson as a coach.

Was watching Logan Brantley and he moves well. He is listed at 211 but I'm not sure he weighs that much. I think Brantley is going to be like Craig Young where he can float between WILL, HAWK and cover receivers in the flat. I think Brantley has more traits as a Power Five safety but Simpson will mold him into a LB. Another player who moves around well is Gilliom but I have heard he is still getting back into football shape. Remember he snapped his leg. He was limited in the spring and is starting to get back into full gear but isn't there yet.

My top six for now:
Miller- Young- Berryhill
Brown- Wheeler- Gilliom

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News