ADVERTISEMENT

Commit Breakdown Commitment Breakdown: What landing Adrian Holley means

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: Adrian Holley was a long-time target of Jim Panagos. I remember the first time I talked to Holley, and he talked about Austin Booker.

Panagos was the lead recruiter for Holley and Booker. They are both from Indiana. I can recall how Panagos told Holley he could be the same player Booker is. I really think that resonated with Holley and helped get things going.

Early on there were a lot of predictions Holley would end up at Minnesota or Cincinnati. I spoke to a couple people making those predictions and told them I didn’t think they were accurate at the time. I always felt Panagos and KU had a slight edge and taking the official visit was the clincher.

Holley told me he would commit where he felt most comfortable, and faith was a big part of his decision. The word I get is he meshed well with the players, and they did a good job pairing Ben Easters with him on the visit. Easters is also from Indiana and the two had that part in common.

Breakdown: Holley is a raw player and will have as good of upside as anybody in the class. He’s 6-foot-4 and has a wingspan around 83 inches.

His sophomore film was just okay. His junior year was better, but he is a recruit where you have to study the upside and know what you are getting. Very similar to what Panagos knew about Booker.

Rivals initially rated Holley a 5.3, two star and he was sent to be re-evaluated. But the big thing was Holley showing up to the Rivals Combine and the analysts getting a chance to see him in person. After that he was bumped to a 5.5, 3-star.

He is a good athlete. And I think when he gets in a college weight program and gets coached up he’s going to be someone to watch.

What this means: I think the staff could take up to three high school defensive ends if they get the right one. I have a Forecast Prediction in for Garrett Martin from Arizona and I feel good about that. If Tylon Lee wanted to commit, they would take him.

They still have Xavier Newsom on the board to visit to next week, but we will have to see how that goes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News