ADVERTISEMENT

CAMP SCRIMMAGE BREAKDOWN: RED TEAM SLIPS PAST BLUE TEAM, 71-66.

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Hey all,

I just returned home from the camp scrimmage, which took place inside Allen Fieldhouse earlier today. Those in attendance were able to get their first look at Hunter Dickinson, the 7-foot-1, 260-pound center from Alexandria, Va., along with several other newcomers. When all was said and done, the Red Team emerged victorious over the Blue Team, 71-66.

Hunter Dickson led the way with 21 points for the Blue Team. He connected on several shots from behind the arc and did some work around the paint as well. I didn’t keep count of the rebounds, but he had a bunch of those, too. The guy has a chance to be a special season at Kansas and I expect Bill Self to do everything he can to get Dickinson the ball down low and on the perimeter.

Playing alongside Hunter Dickinson on the Blue Team, Nicolas Timberlake, the 6-foot-4, 205-pound guard from Braintree, Mass., chipped in 15 points in the scrimmage. He did a little bit of everything on Wednesday afternoon. He hit some shots from behind the arc, scored around the basket, and scored from midrange. I can tell you that he’s going to hit some big shots for Kansas this season. His shot is smooth and he’s extremely confident on the court.

In a winning effort, Elmarko Jackson, the 6-foot-3, 180-pound guard from South Kent, Conn., scored 15 points in his scrimmage debut. Jackson will be given every opportunity to play a major role this season, especially with his intensity on the defensive end of the court, but he had it going offensively on Wednesday. Whether scoring from behind the arc or flying to the basket for a dunk, Jackson looked like he belonged on the court on Wednesday.

Playing alongside Jackson, Arterio Morris, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound guard from Dallas, Texas, flew up and down the court on Wednesday. He tallied 12 points and did so in a variety of ways. He is so damn athletic and loves to get out and run the court in transition. Again, he was productive from behind the arc, drilled a sweet-looking shot from the baseline, and soared above the rim for a dunk.

I don’t know how much Dillon Wilhite (Red Team), the 6-foot-9, 240-pound forward from San Diego, Calif., is going to play this next season, but he scored 12 points on Wednesday afternoon. In the past, Coach Self has spoken highly of Wilhite, who connected on two shots from behind the arc in the scrimmage. It was a small sample size, but Wilhite showed the ability to score from under the basket and from behind the arc in today’s scrimmage.

I’m still not sure what to expect from Jamari McDowell, the 6-foot-3, 180-pound guard from Manvel, Texas. In a losing effort, McDowell connected on a sweet-looking shot from behind the arc and drove to the basket on a number of occasions. While introducing the team to the campers, Self described McDowell as a guy that can shoot the ball from deep.

Michael Jankovich (Blue Team), who coined himself as the best shooter on the team, tallied eight points on Wednesday afternoon. He drilled a couple of shots from behind the arc and added two more baskets inside the arc. There’s no denying that Jackovich can shoot the basketball and, without question, he’s got the confidence the let it fly from any location on the court.

Playing on the Red Team, KJ Adams, Jr., and Wilder Evers scored six points each during the scrimmage. Evers drilled a couple of threes, while Adams, Jr., did all of his damage around the basket.

Dajuan Harris, Jr., (4) and Patrick Cassidy (5), teammates on Team Blue, combined to score nine points. Cassidy, who was added as a walk-on earlier in the week, drilled a shot from behind the arc, while Harris, Jr., scored on drives to the basket.

Former Jayhawk Ben McLemore, who scored 20 points in a winning effort, drilled six shots from behind the arc, while Tyshawn Taylor scored just two points in a losing effort.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.