ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Breaking: Spencer Lovell picks KU

JK

Hall of Fame
Staff
May 29, 2001
Overland Park
Quick Take: This is a big win for the offensive line. Spencer Lovell was a rare situation for KU because of the fact Scott Fuchs got to recruit him last spring giving him a head start.

Lovell played at Arizona State to start his career and went in the portal last spring. Kansas was one of his finalists and got to know Fuchs during that period.

He started the first three games for Cal last season until he suffered a season ending injury against Notre Dame.

Before the visit he told me he had a good relationship with Fuchs, and he is serious in strength and conditioning. One of the things he wanted to do was meet with Matt Gildersleeve because he heard a lot about him.

I heard Ben Coates was his host because all the OL are not back on campus.

Breakdown: I know it is easy to look at paper and think the KU OL has its starters next year based off who is returning. But I am telling you right now the returning guards are going to have to fight to keep Lovell out of the starting lineup.

Lovell has proven he can play at the Power Five level. For starters he is strong. I have been told he will be one of the more impressive players in the weight room and his numbers are very good.

He does have some athleticism for a big guy and started his career at Arizona State as a tackle. He moved to guard.

In the 2021 season he graded out at 68.6 at Arizona State playing a good number of snaps.

I think he is starter material, and this will create a lot of competition at the guard spot. This will push everyone to be better and nobody will be handed a starting spot just because they started last year.

What this means: There has been so much talk about going up against Colorado and Deion Sanders. The KU staff and Fuchs come away with a win here since he visited Colorado after KU. Being from Colorado some thought the Buffs would have an advantage.

Unless something changes or comes along later in the spring this should close out portal recruiting for the offensive line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News