ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News ANALYSIS: ARTERIO MORRIS TO KANSAS

shay

Senior Writer
Staff
May 29, 2001
Olathe, Kansas
kansas.rivals.com
Well, Arterio Morris, the 6-foot-3, 190-pound point guard (more of a combo guard) from Dallas, Texas, has verbally committed to Kansas. Coming out of Kimball High School as a member of the 2022 class, Morris was the No. 15 ranked player in the class, the No. 2 ranked point guard, a five-star prospect, and a McDonald’s All-American.

On the court, Morris has all of the tools to make a major impact at Kansas. This past season, he averaged 4.7 points and 1.4 rebounds per game. Offensively, Morris, in 36 games, shot 41.4 percent from the field, 32.5 percent from behind the arc, and 78.6 percent from the free-throw line.

Morris, without question, has the potential to be an elite perimeter defender and can play on or off the ball. He has the ability to score from all three levels and, despite averaging just 12 minutes per game this past season at Texas, had some memorable moments on the hardwood.

On December 21, Morris scored a career-high 25 points against Louisiana. In scoring 25 points, he hit 9-of-11 field goals, 5-of-7 shots from behind the arc, and was 2-of-2 from the free-throw line. In all, Morris scored in double-figures six times during his lone season in Austin.

Morris is extremely athletic, can score, and defend, and is a big-time addition for Bill Self and Kansas. Dajuan Harris, Jr., is back for another season, and now you add Nicolas Timberlake and Arterio Morris to the roster and things are looking quite nicely on the perimeter. You’ve got guys that can score from behind the arc, pull up for the midrange jumper, or put the ball on the floor and score off the bounce.

Looking at this from purely a basketball standpoint, I absolutely love the move. There’s a lot to like about Morris, but the havoc he will potentially cause on the defensive end of the court, well, Self has to be ecstatic with the addition.

Obviously, Kansas is waiting on Hunter Dickinson, the No. 1 ranked player in the transfer portal, to make his decision. Texas Tech transfer Jaylon Tyson is currently on campus and Mackenzie Mgbako, the No. 8 ranked player in the 2023 class, is expected to visit next week.

Things are certainly looking up for Bill Self and Kansas with today’s addition.

Moving forward, some questions will eventually have to be answered in terms of his pending domestic violence trial that is scheduled to take place, from what I've been told, on June 14. Whether I’m in the good or the bad or whether I’m right or wrong, I haven’t spent much time talking about the off-the-court situation Arterio Morris is dealing with at this time.

I’ve read the reports and I firmly understand what the trial is all about. I’m the father of a 16-year-old son that is a sophomore in high school. I’m a son to a wonderful mother, a brother to an amazing beautiful older sister, an uncle to two amazing nieces, a nephew to two amazing aunts, and recently met the woman that I plan to spend the rest of my life with (fingers crossed).

I know how serious a case/charge/trial/etc. like this is and it’s not something that I take lightly and it’s not the type of behavior that I approve of or condone. There’s no way in hell that Bill Self takes a chance on a player like Arterio Morris, regardless of how talented he is, unless he has a pretty good idea or feeling about how this is going to play out.

A trial date has been set and, when a verdict is handed down or whatever the case may be, Arterio Morris will have to face whatever comes his way. I’m going to let the justice system and those involved in the case do their jobs. My job isn’t to play the role of judge, jury, and executioner. Those types of decisions are way above my pay grade and outside of my profession.

I’m saying all of this because, for the most part, I’ve simply decided to stay away from reporting things that I know little about. I know that a trial is set and I know that the case involves domestic violence, but aside from that, I’m not privy to any additional information.

I’m not ignoring the situation or pushing it to the side, but rather waiting for the situation to play out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.