ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Update Why you put all the chips in on Feleipe Franks

Bobby Douglas was not the passer Frank's is. Not in college for sure. He could only throw it hard and hot. In college, he was more a runner.
I agree. I was just being facetious because “halve” said “never”. The throw Franks made in that video was tremendous.

Reactions: JhawknZona
I am excited about the prospect of Franks but I remember seeing this and getting excited.

Reactions: joaqhawk

If he is healthy enough to move like that, I have no problem with him. I still remember the reaction of the room, while watching this play with my friends.
NO! Z’bar said not that mobile so I take that over my eyes on this and other replays.

Zansobar.... you can probably find concerns with most any transfer. There are plays where Franks runs the ball well enough. He is a long-strider but he moves well.

Here's the question: Does Franks make your team better with or without him?

If we had a lot of available IC's I would say perhaps (we don't know anything about how he will be without a quality oline and after that ankle injury), the problem is we need to be building for the future, not the now. If the staff takes that California HS QB and Franks, I would say I'd rather take two HS QBs or even use that IC on Magnusen at oline than take Franks for one year where we hope he can adjust to our system and doesn't get injured. Now if they are only taking Franks OR that Cal HS QB then it might be better to roll the dice on taking Franks by himself.

I've heard all these same comments about "he can make all the throws" and "he has an NFL arm" when we had Crist and Heaps and we all know how that panned out.

The arm strength is only part of the equation to that throw.

The other part, and what makes it really impressive, is eluding a rusher, buying time and space with his legs, and then making the throw with another defender in his face.

Crist lacked both the mobility and poise to make that play.
Scarecrow Crist

I think there are some big potential issues with Franks. His completion percentage is not good for today's game except for his last year where he only played in three games one of which was a 45-0 win against Tennessee-Martin. In his first two years he was under 60% completion rate. That being with a top notch offensive line and receivers at Florida. He is 6' 6" and 240 lbs coming off a devastating ankle injury. He wasn't mobile before and now most likely even less so. I know the coaching staff feels like they are backed into a corner with no good options, but they really should have found a HS QB in this class earlier. I have no idea if them taking the QB from Topeka made other QBs shy away thinking they already had their QB for this class or not. I can't really explain the inability to get even a low three star QB in this class (so far), and I really don't know why they are taking the Topeka QB as I can't see him playing that position in college, especially when there are more positions of need (if he isn't playing QB) than getting another WR, DB, LB convert.

Sorry to be a downer but I think people need to temper their expectations if Franks does come here. Without a legit O-line (which we won't have for a couple more years at the earliest) we won't be seeing the SEC type numbers he put up at Florida, and that is even if he is fully recovered from his ankle injury.
l am not sure your claim he was not a mobile QB before the ankle injury is accurate.

Franks might help secure other recruits who are wavering if he commits now.
The board said Beatty juco recruits would make us better.
Without doubt every game you win helps program in recruiting,perception ,and attendance.
If he comes would mcvittie stay?
Can’t wait for spring game. One of the qbs on team gonna surprise us.

It is unfathomable to me that anyone is opposed to this. Warts and all, he would be the best quarterback we’ve had since Reesing and it’s not close. I am ALL IN.

So I reached out to my cousin who’s a UF grad and all about everything UF football. Here’s what he said about Franks:

Don’t think he’s a head case. Pretty good kid it seems, just not a great QB. All the physical tools, just makes bad decisions.

Kids can grow and get better. Didn’t Stanley say he had to learn he didn’t have to make the big play to impress the coaches?

Warts and all, he would be the best quarterback we’ve had since Reesing and it’s not close. I am ALL IN.
I'm wary of making this prediction bc we have heard it alot, but he's likely better than what we have so it makes sense to take him.

A qb is one spot it makes sense to try to upgrade. They tried last year and it didnt work.

I've watched almost every UF game this year since my lady is a UF grad. He has talent, but the biggest concern to me is his leadership. When things go bad, he doesn't respond well.

On one occasion he shushed the UF crowd and appeared to yell, "Shut the f*ck up" after he scored a touchdown coming off the crowd booing him for poor play. Maybe a little thin-skinned.

I think he would be an upgrade for us, but I'm not sure how well he would do if things start to spiral out of control.

This is just my opinion based off of what I've seen.

Reactions: 66044 and jkrenger
Use the scholarship on him rather than an another HS player & he doesn't contribute for whatever reason. An issue with recovery or re-injuring his ankle.
Well what if you take a HS QB and he gets injured early and never recovers? If the medical check out he is no more likely to be lost to injury than anyone else.

Well what if you take a HS QB and he gets injured early and never recovers? If the medical check out he is no more likely to be lost to injury than anyone else.
I never said we should or shouldn't take the kid if we can get him. I just think it will be a bang or bust situation. I can't decide how I think it will shake out.
Seems like you wanted to debate my suggestion that it could be bad. He has had a season ending injury already. If he goes down early or doesn't produce like we hope, we'll all be wishing the staff took another HS player with the ship.
If he comes & plays well, it could really help with building momentum for the program. I just think it will be one extreme or the other. Just how I feel about it at this time.

Reactions: Kennyb2 and 66044
If we had a lot of available IC's I would say perhaps (we don't know anything about how he will be without a quality oline and after that ankle injury), the problem is we need to be building for the future, not the now. If the staff takes that California HS QB and Franks, I would say I'd rather take two HS QBs or even use that IC on Magnusen at oline than take Franks for one year where we hope he can adjust to our system and doesn't get injured. Now if they are only taking Franks OR that Cal HS QB then it might be better to roll the dice on taking Franks by himself.

I've heard all these same comments about "he can make all the throws" and "he has an NFL arm" when we had Crist and Heaps and we all know how that panned out.
I just can't help myself, but here is another "volume" post that typically makes Otis shake his head.

I have rhythmically banged the drum of how the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes will define HCLM's time at KU, for they are his foundation classes. If we sign all of our current verbals and add Franks, Lewis, and Remetich, HCLM will have brought in 36 HS recruits, on scholarship, since Dec 2018; this does not include Jayden Russell, the walkons, and any other potential recruits between now and August 2020. We are doing fine in this area.

I was initially against the idea of Franks, because of him being another transfer, and I want to see our current QBs. After multiple posts by others, I have changed my tune. He provides a cushion year for OCBD to better access our current QBs, with his full playbook, and does not fully hurt our recruiting numbers. If his ankle successfully heals, he will upgrade one of the position groups we have multiple questions about for 2020.

ADJL and HCLM need to have as successful of a 2020 season as possible, for individual and collective reasons. They cannot afford too many more misses, with some of their mistakes. If we get up to 3 wins again, with or without Franks, it does not provide enough proof of what they initially sold to the fanbase. If they hit with Franks, reaching 4+ wins, which will be tough enough, but more reachable with Franks, ADJL gets some more wiggle room, more monetary resources for the program, including the stadium renovation, and HCLM will be able to convince more better prepared 2021/2022 recruits to strongly consider KU.

The miserable decade of KUFB, 2010 - 2019, is over; there is nothing satisfying about 21-99. This program needs that positive jolt to begin the next decade, for far too many reasons. A lot is being presented and placed on the mind of Franks right now. As far as I know, we don't have any "proven leadership," with our 2020 senior class, on this team. Outside of Kyron Johnson and Andrew Parchment, can anyone name a senior who is worthy of being a "senior captain?" Franks has experienced a lot, coming from Florida, and it may be just enough of what this program needs, with the player leadership, for that positive thrust. In order to build the future decade, we need to do what is needed to take care of the present and near future, 2020.

I am good with Feleipe Franks, and so should you, along with the rest of us. Instead of focusing on the negatives, I am choosing to focus on the potential positives. He will benefit and KUFB will benefit, if he can be "that guy." Let's hope the coaches, current player hosts, and current visiting recruits convince him to end his recruitment before the end of this week, preferably before he leaves Lawrence.

I just can't help myself, but here is another "volume" post that typically makes Otis shake his head.

I have rhythmically banged the drum of how the 2019 and 2020 recruiting classes will define HCLM's time at KU, for they are his foundation classes. If we sign all of our current verbals and add Franks, Lewis, and Remetich, HCLM will have brought in 36 HS recruits, on scholarship, since Dec 2018; this does not include Jayden Russell, the walkons, and any other potential recruits between now and August 2020. We are doing fine in this area.

I was initially against the idea of Franks, because of him being another transfer, and I want to see our current QBs. After multiple posts by others, I have changed my tune. He provides a cushion year for OCBD to better access our current QBs, with his full playbook, and does not fully hurt our recruiting numbers. If his ankle successfully heals, he will upgrade one of the position groups we have multiple questions about for 2020.

ADJL and HCLM need to have as successful of a 2020 season as possible, for individual and collective reasons. They cannot afford too many more misses, with some of their mistakes. If we get up to 3 wins again, with or without Franks, it does not provide enough proof of what they initially sold to the fanbase. If they hit with Franks, reaching 4+ wins, which will be tough enough, but more reachable with Franks, ADJL gets some more wiggle room, more monetary resources for the program, including the stadium renovation, and HCLM will be able to convince more better prepared 2021/2022 recruits to strongly consider KU.

The miserable decade of KUFB, 2010 - 2019, is over; there is nothing satisfying about 21-99. This program needs that positive jolt to begin the next decade, for far too many reasons. A lot is being presented and placed on the mind of Franks right now. As far as I know, we don't have any "proven leadership," with our 2020 senior class, on this team. Outside of Kyron Johnson and Andrew Parchment, can anyone name a senior who is worthy of being a "senior captain?" Franks has experienced a lot, coming from Florida, and it may be just enough of what this program needs, with the player leadership, for that positive thrust. In order to build the future decade, we need to do what is needed to take care of the present and near future, 2020.

I am good with Feleipe Franks, and so should you, along with the rest of us. Instead of focusing on the negatives, I am choosing to focus on the potential positives. He will benefit and KUFB will benefit, if he can be "that guy." Let's hope the coaches, current player hosts, and current visiting recruits convince him to end his recruitment before the end of this week, preferably before he leaves Lawrence.
TLDR, JEESH...

Reactions: TD_Jayhawk
Jolebo I think the buffer year it allows Dearmon to work with young QBs is a key. I also think that is a selling point. No QB on the roster next year is close to battle tested. That doesn't mean they aren't good but just question marks and unproven.

For me it is simple. If Dearmon didn't think he needed a guy like Franks he wouldn't be on him

TLDR, JEESH...
If you read JK's post, then you can "suffer through my volume," in terms of wordiness. It was a itch I simply wanted to scratch. I used to be and can be worse; be happy you didn't read some of my previous volumes.

Reactions: bigdogjac

The volume of HS players in this class makes me feel better about taking a flier on a transfer. I'd be a lot more anxious if we had 10-12 Jucos already in the fold.

Jolebo I think the buffer year it allows Dearmon to work with young QBs is a key. I also think that is a selling point. No QB on the roster next year is close to battle tested. That doesn't mean they aren't good but just question marks and unproven.

For me it is simple. If Dearmon didn't think he needed a guy like Franks he wouldn't be on him
Earlier in the week, I was stuck on how I wanted to see the young QBs play. But I now think of how Dearmon has been our official OC for 70 days, and there was little time to implement all he could. Franks is someone who was able to learn and play in a more productive offensive system, under Dan Mullen. Hopefully, that time with him will benefit Franks' learning curve, if he is instantly sold with Dearmon.

The volume of HS players in this class makes me feel better about taking a flier on a transfer. I'd be a lot more anxious if we had 10-12 Jucos already in the fold.
If I am right, HCLM has brought in 6 JUCOs since Dec 2018. This includes Malcolm Lee and Caleb Sampson, two 3x3 DL; it is hard to be disappointed with this development for KUFB.

I've watched almost every UF game this year since my lady is a UF grad. He has talent, but the biggest concern to me is his leadership. When things go bad, he doesn't respond well.

On one occasion he shushed the UF crowd and appeared to yell, "Shut the f*ck up" after he scored a touchdown coming off the crowd booing him for poor play. Maybe a little thin-skinned.

I think he would be an upgrade for us, but I'm not sure how well he would do if things start to spiral out of control.

This is just my opinion based off of what I've seen.

I don’t think that he will have to worry about being abused by the home crowd if he comes to KU.

The miserable decade of KUFB, 2010 - 2019, is over; there is nothing satisfying about 21-99. This program needs that positive jolt to begin the next decade, for far too many reasons. A lot is being presented and placed on the mind of Franks right now. As far as I know, we don't have any "proven leadership," with our 2020 senior class, on this team. Outside of Kyron Johnson and Andrew Parchment, can anyone name a senior who is worthy of being a "senior captain?"
Great post. The two most obvious captains next year will be Stephon Robinson and Kyle Mayberry.

If you read JK's post, then you can "suffer through my volume," in terms of wordiness. It was a itch I simply wanted to scratch. I used to be and can be worse; be happy you didn't read some of my previous volumes.
Lol. You are a good American...

Not sure Kyron or AP would be my choice
I listed two seniors, 1 OFF/DEF, off the top of my head. My point is that there is basically no 2020 senior that feels like a senior captain, based on interviews from this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT