ADVERTISEMENT

What should Garland do?

hill6

All-American
Feb 10, 2017
NPR had a short segment today where it sounded like Garland was leaning towards not going after Trump. Rumor had it that he would only prosecute if he was 100% sure of a conviction, and that he was more concerned with the precedence of prosecuting political leaders.

On the one hand, it is becoming increasingly clear that Trump and his cohort committed a crime. Regardless of who the person is, we shouldn't let criminals get away with it simply because they are powerful. It really is a dangerous precedence to set by allowing the President to get off scotfree. It basically invites future Presidents to break the law knowing they well get away with it.

On the other, it sets a dangerous precedence of going after political opponents. We have generally been safe from political retributions of that kind - a kind that is common in other, more autocratic countries. Does anyone think that a prosecution of Trump won't lead to every future GOP President going after D opponents? I really could see a GOP President having their D opponent arrested based on trumped up charges and preventing them from campaigning if we go this route.

Personally, I think the greater threat to the nation is from people like Trump getting away with it. I feel the cat is out of the bag at this point on legal proceedings - I think Trump has learned and will install a full stooge at AG who will do his bidding, including going after people like Biden and Obama. But, that said, I do think it's a dangerous threshold to cross and I hope Garland behaves thoughtfully, but not overly conservatively.

Other views?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News